Israel is a country which, despite it’s small geographic size, has made immense scientific and technological contributions. It is much more than the desert that characterizes it, or the Middle Eastern cultural assumptions usually associated with the country. Check out our list of surprising facts you might not know about Israel.
1. Israel is the home to the lowest point on Earth. The Dead Sea is located 1315 feet below sea level. However, thanks to the water density and salt levels, there’s not a chance of sinking any further. So grab a bathing suit and sunscreen, lather yourself with the abundant mineral-packed mud, and just float away.
2. Israel’s engineers at Motorola Israel R&D Center developed the original cell phone technology, the starting point for the smartphones of today.
3. Israel is the only country in the world that uses kosher glue for its postage stamps.
5. Israel has the most museums per capita than any other country in the world.
6. Israel’s port city of Eilat is duty free and declared a Free Trade Zone. All purchases are free of VAT. Snorkelling, banana-boating and sightseeing at the underwater tropical aquarium are among other great attractions of this great holiday destination.
7. Israel has more orchestras per capita than any other nation in the world. It is said that listening to classical music raises your IQ, which would explain a lot regarding Israel’s leading place in many intellectual fields.
8. Israel has the largest amount of start-ups per capita (hence its nickname The Start Up Nation). It is third in the world for venture capital availability.
9. The second largest bath complex in the entire Roman empire was built in Israel. Spa-lovers can relax in ancient style in the 2000 year-old complex at Hamat Gader.
10. There are 35 commercial wineries in Israel and 250 boutique wineries. The Carmel Wineries, Tepperberg, Tishbi, and a host of other prestigious wineries offer visitor activities: you can see how their wine is made from start to finish, while taking part in tastings after.
11. Israel has 137 beaches. It’s a a haven for sun, sea and ‘matkot’, the unofficial, yet somehow official national sport, which is a traditional beach game of tennis without a net or scores.
12. Israel is home to the only underwater restaurant. Enjoy a Middle Eastern meal with a difference at The Red Sea Star.
13. Israeli bank notes have braille writing on them so the blind can accurately identify them.
14. Israel is home to the world’s only theatre company comprised entirely of deaf and blind actors, based in Jaffa. Prior to the performance, visitors can experience eating entirely in the dark at NaLaga’at while being served by blind waiters.
15. The cherry tomato, beloved salad garnish and snacking vegetable, was invented in Israel.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.