From quick city escapes to coastal hideaways, Culture Trip rounds up Iran’s most beautiful beaches.
Iran may not be the first place you think of when it comes to beaches, but the country’s 2,400 km (1,491 miles) of coastline is incredibly diverse. From the well-loved Ladies’ Beach in the southern island of Kish to all the way up north to the Gisoom Beach in the Gilan province, there are plenty to choose from.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Ladies’ Beach on Kish Island has to be top of the list for any female reader. Here women are free to enter the water, which isn’t always the case with other beaches in the country. Often described as being somewhere like Hawaii, this coastal site provides an interesting insight to beach life in Iran. With clear water, women can enjoy going into the sea while they discover the vibrant coral reefs. Lines of sunbathers can be seen relaxing and you can have a massage on the beach. Be aware that you are not allowed to take pictures here and you may be asked to hand in your phone upon entry.
Marjan Beach, again on Kish Island, is coated in golden sand and provides plenty of opportunities for relaxing walks as you look out onto lines of palm trees. You can also go surfing, or rent a boat to really explore the vast clear water here. Kish Island can reach hot temperatures in the summer, so spring or even winter are better times to visit.
With a diving school onsite for all levels, Zeitoon Beach in Qeshm (part of Zeitoon Park) is a great beach for water sports. There are lots of restaurants dotted around the area serving up fish dishes you may not expect to find in Iran, such as octopus and shrimp coated in local spices of turmeric, cloves and dried rose petals for a refreshing foodie alternative. Some of the places to ear have live music, so you can have an even more memorable dining experience while looking out to the sea. Women aren’t allowed to swim in the water here, but are allowed on the beach itself.
Gisoom Beach, located in the Gilan province of Iran, is coated in lush sand. It is well-loved for Iranians going on holiday and for escaping city life. Gisoom Beach is again one for water sports, where you can jet ski and cross the sea. You can camp here too, which is a popular experience for travellers. Remember to explore the surrounding nature of the area, notably Gisoom Jungle which is clustered with trees. At the end of the jungle is the 1,000-year old White Mosque.
Bandar Abbas Beach
In the south of Iran sits Bandar Abbas Beach, where you can walk along soft sands along the gentle slope. This makes it a great choice for families where children can enjoy building sandcastles. Winter is the best time to visit as there is less humidity in this area of the country and with water temperatures as high as 24°C (75°F) in December, it is still pleasant enough to enjoy in the winter. There is a great selection of modern hotels which provide guests with even more water action thanks to their very own swimming pools.
Rishehr Beach sits in Bushehr which is close to big cities like Abadan and Shiraz, giving travellers an attractive alternative escape from touristy spots. It is popular with overseas visitors, particularly those from Bahrain and Kuwait. Rishehr Beach has a sandy and rocky landscape, which makes it great for climbing. The beach is perfect for water activities such as hiring speed boats. Again, it is best to visit during the winter when temperatures are cooler but still warm enough to go for a dip. You can enjoy swimming in water temperatures as high as 22°C (72°F) as late as December here.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.