While Scandinavian countries are perhaps the obvious go-to places for interiors inspiration right now, young author Lena Späth has captured the beauty, intricacy and vibrancy of Iranian interior design to showcase its underrated style in her new book Behind Closed Curtains: Interior Design in Iran.
After studying in the country, Späth lost her heart to both Iran and its people, but also to one man in particular, and it’s through him she claims to have been able to discover ‘the real Iran’. Since then she’s travelled to Tehran multiple times.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
‘Every time I was in Tehran, I went to its flea market on Fridays. In 2008, my friends told me it was not a good place to go; they said it was dirty and questioned why I would want to buy something Irani when I have Ikea and H&M and co. in Europe. Most people didn’t understand my love for traditional design and handicrafts. But today, almost a decade later, things have changed. Young people have started to buy Persian products and are more and more creative themselves. Now one can buy ceramics, jewellery, or even hammocks made in Iran via Instagram.’
Throughout Späth’s book, she unfurls the hidden treasures of Iran, offering a rare glimpse inside the houses of ordinary people with extraordinarily beautiful homes. One highlight of the book is the property of Sufi Shahidzadeh Falsafi, based in Esfahan. Here, Späth takes us on a tour of this stunning home:
‘The Dibai House is situated in a narrow street of traditional clay and straw houses near the old bazaar. Built in the 1670s, it features the typical central courtyard and two Ayvans, large vaulted halls open to the garden.
‘In between them sits the typical splendid room to welcome guests, the Shah Neshin, nowadays known as a guest room. Here a traditional fireplace with holes for glass bottles catches the eye.
‘From the courtyard, one can pass by a bench made from an old wooden door to get into the kitchen. The room is not only stretching some meters to its furthest end, but also upwards. Here, centuries of smoke has gathered and blackened the ceiling, a sign of the history of the house.
‘Another unique piece of the Dibai House is its fountain house, the Howzkhane. It impresses through an exuberant mix of drawings, mirror work, and wooden window frames, but also a balcony and wooden columns that are more than 300 years old. Light reaches the room through a skylight; during hot summer days when temperatures can climb up to 40°C, the howzkhane (pool house) guarantees a fresh breeze.
‘Originally, the house was doomed to be destroyed to create a parking lot for the nearby mosque. But its owner, Sufi Shahidzadeh Falsafi, renovated it between 2006 and 2009 to transform it into a guesthouse.
‘Having lived in Spain for many years, she brought the multicolour approach with her when she moved back to Iran. With the traditional earthy beige as a background, the rooms now shine in a strong blue, orange, turquoise, and yellow – an example of how different traditions can merge into something new and beautiful.’
To see more of the stunning Iranian interiors captured in Späth’s book, buy your copy here.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.