Iran is a vast country with varying landscapes, cultures and languages. One of the best ways to discover its hidden corners is by travelling by car. Keep reading to discover the best road trips to take in order to uncover Iran’s highlights.
Iran’s Kurdistan Province is unique not just for its rugged terrain rich with various landscapes, but for its culture as well. Start in the capital, Sanandaj, and work your way to the isolated vertical village of Palangan cut into a steep gorge. Move on to Uraman Takht, another staircase-like village through which the roaring Sirvan River flows. Continue north to the so-called lost paradise of Lake Zarivar and then, to the limestone Karaftu Cave, most notable for its Greek inscriptions. Kurdistan has harsh winters, so it’s ideally visited in spring or summer.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Chalus Road is one of the main routes from Tehran leading to the Caspian Coast. Narrow roads snaking down the mountainside alongside tunnels chiselled into solid rock and bodies of water make this by far one of the most scenic, albeit sometimes heart-stopping, roads in Iran. Stop for some roadside kebabs and keep your eye out for the yogurt drink, doogh, while relaxing under the spring water flowing from the cliffs.
After exploring the sights in Tabriz, namely the Blue Mosque and the UNESCO-listed bazaar, hit the road toward the troglodyte village of Kandovan. The cone-shaped homes here have been carved inside volcanic rock from the now dormant Mount Sahand that, by some accounts, are up to 3,000 years old. When you’ve had your fill of these modern day cave dwellers, pass through the winding roads where the mountains appear as if painted with light brush strokes of various shades and head toward Jolfa, where the St. Stepanos Monastery lies. Within the vicinity are the St. Thaddeus Cathedral and the Chapel of Dzordzor, which are also worth stopping at during your trip.
Qeshm is one of the most pristine and naturally beautiful places in Iran and driving around this 576 square mile island might just be the most memorable part of your trip. Discover the high and low tides of Naz Island, the dolphins of Hengam Island and other natural sites, such as salt caves, mangrove forests and carved sandstone valleys. In between, soak up the island’s unique culture, particularly in the villages of Laft and Guran, where lenj (wooden boats) are still crafted by hand.
Yazd makes it on most travellers’ itineraries, but if you can take a road trip from here to Nayband, you’ll get a hearty dose of the desert life and village hospitality. One of Iran’s most remote villages, Nayband is a literal oasis full of fruit and palm trees set on a backdrop of mud-brick houses and desert mountains. The surrounding wildlife reserve also has a plethora of fauna. Other options would be to add the village of Kharanaq, just outside of Yazd, to your trip or to start out from Kerman.
Take a road trip from the centre of Iran’s present-day modernity to the heart of its ancient history and hit the highlights in between. From Tehran, pass through Qom, where you can visit the Fatima Masumeh Shrine and the old bazaar before going out to the salt flats of Namak Lake. The historical houses of Kashan and the red adobe village of Abyaneh await you on the way to see half the world in Esfahan. Once you’ve arrived in Shiraz, you can bask in some culture before heading out to see where the great Persian Empire holds its roots.
The Caspian Coast
The Caspian Coast offers a world of nature and culture. While in Bandar-e Anzali, the centre of caviar production, take a boat to the Anzali Lagoon to view the Caspian lotuses. Move around the coast towards Rasht and Ramsar, all the way to Bandar Torkaman, where you can visit Ashuradeh Island. You’ll witness fascinating variations in both culture and language as it changes from Gilaki to Mazandarani to Turkmen.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.