Hampden Park in Mount Florida, Glasgow is the national football stadium of Scotland. With a capacity of more than 50,000 people, the grounds are also in big demand by artists on stadium tours – Beyoncé, Take That and the Rolling Stones have all taken to the stage here in recent years. You can choose to stay in the thick of things in the lively city centre, or pick a hotel close to the laid-back and leafy southeast suburb of Mount Florida.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Between Crosshill and Mount Florida train stations, this large Victorian house is home to a four-star hotel, bar-restaurant and stunning beer garden edged by big trees. Some of the 26 bedrooms are in an adjacent townhouse, but the booking site makes it clear where you’ll be staying. It tends to hold weekend events, which can be noisy.
This is a great city choice, 30 minutes by public transport to Hampden Park. The Dakota is a contemporary cube-like building on the corner of West Regent Street and Pitt Street, with 83 elegant rooms in muted tones. The basement Dakota Grill continues to soothe the senses and features an outstanding côte de boeuf over hot coals – veggies can opt for the likes of roast chicory or tomato and coconut curry.
Where “play is serious business”, Moxy is a city centre new-build with playful touches like a football table and pool table in shared areas. Tech is at its heart – including ergonomic seating in a “plug and meet” area and USB ports and motion sensor lights in the bedrooms. The rooms are small, functional and super clean, and there’s a barista counter where you can buy breakfast. It’s 30 to 40 minutes by public transport to Hampden Park.
Once the headquarters for the Royal Scottish Automobile Club, Blythswood is now a sleek landmark hotel in the city centre. Georgian opulence begins with the stone exterior and continues into the vast lobby, whereas rooms are more contemporary – though the suites have large original sash windows. The spa thermal experience is not to be missed, but you must book treatments in advance. Parking can be paid for, or the concierge will order you a taxi.
Steps from George Square in the centre of Glasgow is this exquisite art deco building, housing 64 serviced studio and one-bedroom apartments. Reception is available 24 hours a day, and housekeeping is weekly for long-term stays. If you’re looking for a bite to eat, the Anchor Line Bar and Restaurant is on the ground floor – Anchor Line was the name of the original shipping HQ located here. The menu takes its maritime connections seriously: oysters, lobster and scallops are exquisitely prepared.
Slap bang by Glasgow Central Station – 21 minutes to Mount Florida by train and a short walk to the stadium – voco Grand Central has an entire wall dedicated to famous people who have stayed here: Frank Sinatra and Winston Churchill, to name a few. Have afternoon tea or splurge for a bottle of Krug Grande Cuvée in the Grand Central Bar – a beautiful space that evokes the glamorous era of train travel.
This listed Edwardian townhouse has a gorgeous original cage lift and stained-glass windows. Right in the city centre, it’s just 30 minutes by public transport to Hampden Park. Fancy a splurge after your match or event? Book the Fabulous suite for a roll-top bath and a complimentary tuck box.
A one-time Greek Orthodox Church close to Glasgow Central train station, a major feature of Malmaison Glasgow is its vaulted ceilings – the Chez Mal Brasserie is particularly impressive. The 72 bedrooms vary from standard rooms to the signature suite, with more natural light in the higher categories.
Not found your ideal Glasgow stay yet? See the best luxury hotels in the city and the best accommodation for the savvy traveller – they’re all bookable through Culture Trip. For some things to do that don’t involve football, visit the best beaches around Glasgow and see the best things to do at night.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.