With its winding cobbled lanes, cosy pubs and lively food scene, Edinburgh is the perfect place for a couples getaway. You’ll find plenty of couples-friendly bases from which to roam Royal Mile and visit major attractions such as the hilltop Castle and Zoo. Bookable with Culture Trip, here’s our pick of the best of them, from opulent suites with skyline views to modern flats with private gardens.
Cheval Old Town Chambers offers 75 glamorous self-catered apartments overlooking the Royal Mile, a five-minute walk from Edinburgh Castle and the Scottish National Gallery. The Luxury and Deluxe Open Plans are perfect city boltholes for couples, featuring kitchenettes, stylish black-and-white bathrooms, sofas, flatscreen TVs and bare brick walls framing tall sash windows. For outside space, book the One Bedroom Penthouse, which has a furnished terrace with views of the Forth Bridge and Fife. You’ll also have access to a superb gym.
This early 17th-century house in Leith has been creatively restored by renowned conservation architect Nick Groves-Raines and his painter-architect partner Kristin Hannesdottir. There are three bedrooms – one double featuring an antique wardrobe and painted cast-iron bed, a twin with Victorian brass beds and walk-in shower and another double with a timber-lined bed box. The doubles share a bathroom. Communal amenities comprise a living room with open fireplace, an Italian Renaissance-inspired garden and a fully equipped kitchen.
The Edinburgh Residence has 29 suites spread across three late 19th-century townhouses. Couples are well accommodated in the Classic and Grand Suites, which feature walnut and cherry wood furniture, designer wallpaper and enormous bathrooms with free-standing tubs and separate showers – many also showcase original fireplaces and ceilings and some have castle views. The in-suite breakfast options range from Belgian waffles to Scottish smoked salmon, and afternoon tea is served daily in the period-style drawing room. Note that both incur an extra fee.
This airy, modern studio provides a great-value base from which to explore Edinburgh on foot. Situated in the West End, within a 10-minute walk from New Town, Princes Street and the Castle, it features a double and sofa beds, walk-in shower, fully equipped kitchen and a lounge area with sofas and a TV – the maximum capacity is three and it’s adults only. Also less than 10 minutes on foot are two of Edinburgh’s best French restaurants – L’escargot Blanc and Le P’tite Folie.
This one-bedroom apartment is the ideal summer bolthole for couples. Off a living-dining area with a sofa, dishwasher, washing machine and fridge, French windows open onto a small furnished garden – the perfect space for early-evening drinks. The separate bedroom has a double and sofa bed, and there’s a smart TV and selection of DVDs in the lounge area. The historical centre is a 20-minute walk away, or a short bus ride from stops on nearby London Road.
A tropical, minimalist theme dominates at this 72-apartment complex on George Street. Designed by New York-based architects Grzywinski + Pons, all studios have light, beachy colours and feature L-shaped sofas, marble dining tables, swanky kitchenettes and screened-off sleeping areas. Views are either over Edinburgh’s rooftops or of the Georgian townhouses opposite. You’ll also have access to a plant-filled cafe and co-working space on the ground floor, and free yoga classes at a nearby wellness centre.
Cheval’s Edinburgh Grand offers 50 apartments in the National Bank of Scotland’s former HQ, in which original features such as decorative cornicing and brass door handles have been preserved. Couples can choose between Open Plan studios or one-bedroom apartments with lounges, all of which feature designer furniture, marble-counter kitchens, free-standing bath tubs and/or rainfall showers. Take cocktails or afternoon tea in a wood-panelled speakeasy on the fourth floor or enjoy live music in the Lady Libertine, a sultry ground floor-and-basement bar.
Housed in a sandstone Victorian building in the city centre, Fraser’s three Bespoke Luxury Suites are some of the most elegant rooms for couples in the Scottish capital. The Observatory features a private balcony overlooking the rooftops of the Old Town, the Princes boasts panoramic views and original stained-glass windows and the Castle-facing Courant has a fireplace, French silk curtains and handmade furniture. Head to Stocks Bistro for prime Scottish beef and Kirks Bar for a salted caramel espresso martini or a haggis and wagyu bon bon.
If you’re wanting to explore more options, discover the best boutique hotels or holiday cottages Edinburgh has to offer, now bookable via Culture Trip. For those who only have a few days in the city, see our guide on what to do to make the best use of time on your trip. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you pop into one of Edinburgh’s contemporary art galleries and then end your day dining in one of the top city centre restaurants.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.