Superb galleries, creative cuisine, dazzling architecture and a thriving nightlife scene combine to create a vibrant atmosphere in Scotland’s largest city. Pick your favourite Glasgow neighbourhood, and tap into the hyper-local vibe by staying in one of the best independent rentals in the city, including restored Georgian townhouses, contemporary design homes and chic city-centre studios – bookable with Culture Trip.
Overlooking an 18th-century church, these smartly modern, two-bedroom apartments sit just around the corner from the 15th-century Glasgow Green, the River Clyde and historic Merchant City, with its buzzy restaurants and bars (try locally loved Cafe Gandolfi for bistro-style bites). Each pad is carefully kitted out for self-caterers, offering capsule-coffee kits and complimentary toiletries, and the penthouse has leafy urban views from its rooftop balcony. The gothic Glasgow Cathedral, Victorian-era Glasgow Necropolis and other East End highlights are within a 15-minute walk.
A sensitively revamped Georgian townhouse, hosting a duo of two-floor designer apartments gazing out on landscaped Blythswood Square, sets the scene for a swish stay in Glasgow’s city centre. The four-bedroom pad sleeps eight, with a light-filled open-plan kitchen and lounge. Most bedrooms are upstairs, including an ensuite primary double. Cosy-meets-contemporary styling is in soothing pastels, and the sister hotel across the road has a five-star spa. Restaurants, boutiques and exceptional sights, such as the Charles Rennie Mackintosh-designed Glasgow School of Art, dot the surrounding area.
Explore Glasgow’s busy heart from this central, thoughtfully restyled historic home, with crisply designed self-catering studios, on a busy square between Central and Queen Street stations. With a calming dove-grey colour scheme, each open-plan studio caters for two and features smart kitchenettes, orchid pots and cosy-up blankets. You’re surrounded by shops, delightful dining and Merchant City’s multilayered architecture. Nearby attractions include the neoclassical Gallery of Modern Art, the 1880s City Chambers and the Mackintosh-designed Lighthouse building.
Head over to rejuvenating Govan in Glasgow’s southwestern suburbs to find this three-bedroom semi-detached townhouse styled with contemporary flair. At this property near the 19th-century Elder Park, sun-yellow curtains, rose-pink throws and fresh flowers create a cosy feel, while French doors lead to a private garden. The property has space for up to eight guests. Known for its shipbuilding heritage, Govan was a separate town until the early 20th century; today, it has quick bus and subway links to central Glasgow (30 minutes away).
Uncover independent cafes, bohemian boutiques and outstanding urban dining in Glasgow’s trendy West End from this bright, uncluttered one-bedroom apartment that sleeps four – there’s a pull-out sofa in the lounge. The unmissable Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Mackintosh House and Hunterian Museum are within a 15-minute walk, while the Zaha Hadid-designed Riverside Museum overlooking the Clyde is about a 30-minute stroll away. Also, some of the hottest tables in town are nearby – don’t miss the divine Mediterranean-inspired plates at Ox and Finch.
This delightful 1850s apartment is immaculately decorated and has one large bedroom and one bathroom. The spacious apartment sits in a quiet, residential area but is near the city centre where you can enjoy restaurants, theatres, shops and cafes. Other features include a fully equipped kitchen, large hallway and shower room.
This colourful and beautifully decorated rooftop apartment has been described as a sun-filled oasis, as it’s on the rooftop of a converted historic building designed by the office of renowned artist Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The apartment boasts two double bedrooms, one of which is an ensuite, and a large private rooftop garden and lounge overlooking the city.
Tasnim Nazeer contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.