The small Scottish coastal town of St Andrews is globally renowned for its ancient university, Medieval ruins and for being the original home of golf. The constant influx of tourists and a youthful student population have meant that despite its size, the town has become a metropolitan hub with some of the best hotels, restaurants and bars in the whole of the UK. We discover the best places to go for drinks in St Andrews. Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Having opened in the centre of town only a couple of years ago, The Adamson bar and restaurant has rapidly become one of St Andrews’ most frequented fine-dining establishments. The bar is open throughout the day for those who just want to come for drinks and offers an extensive selection of excellent cocktails at affordable prices. The bar’s signature drink is the Smokey Old Fashioned, an overlooked 19th century cocktail, the presentation of which is worth the money in itself. Seating is often limited during the busiest hours, as the bar is situated within the restaurant, but those lucky enough to get a place can witness the skilled mixologists at work. Named after Robert Adamson, a Victorian pioneer of photography who lived and worked in the building, this modern bar has done well to capture the essence of Adamson’s interest in aestheticism.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A cult preference amongst many students, Aikman’s is a small, traditional, vibrant pub, half of which is actually based underground. Advertising the ‘most interesting drinks list in St Andrews’, Aikman’s has hundreds of diverse cask ales and European beers which aren’t supplied anywhere else in town and which have seen the pub placed in the Good Beer Guide every year since 1987. There are wines and spirits for those less interested in beer, but these are usually served with looks of mocking incredulity by the friendly bartenders. Open for almost three decades, there is a certain homey feel to Aikman’s. There are usually a few local blues bands who play throughout the week, otherwise the owner just puts on his 1970s cassette tapes at full-volume.
The Central first opened its doors in 1874 and is still packed almost every night. Whilst many places in town feel like they are dominated by university students and tourists, the Central is enjoyed by members of both town and gown in equal measure. Like Aikman’s, it has kept its traditional appeal. The Central is well reputed in terms of the beers, ales and whiskies it has on offer, as well as its buoyant atmosphere which is only heightened when major sports fixtures are screened. The pub is central not only by name or geographically but as a key part of the St Andrews bar experience.
Hotel Du Vin Bar
Located on the tranquil and picturesque Scores street is the The Hotel Du Vin hotel. As the name would suggest, the bar’s main feature is its dedication to providing an eclectic wine-list, but it also stocks an impressive array of spirits, cigars, and cocktails ranging from Long Island Iced Teas to Whiskey Sours. The bar consists of a cosy couched seating area and a lighter, airy conservatory well-suited for afternoon drinks and more sizeable gatherings. It also lays claim to the town’s only heated patio-area, which enables you to enjoy the crisp Scottish air in all seasons.
The Road Hole Bar at The Old Course Hotel
Overlooking the world’s oldest golf course, The Road Hole Bar is situated on the top floor of the five-star Old Course Hotel, boasting stunning, panoramic view of St Andrews and the town’s finest selection of champagnes, cocktails and whiskeys. With over 300 types of whiskies, this is a haven for Scotch connoisseurs and one of the best places to develop a taste for some of the finest-quality whisky. For those less enamoured about whiskey, there is a wide variety of traditional and contemporary cocktails, and the staff are accommodating and knowledgeable about any orders on the menu. The atmosphere is always formal but warm and perfect for celebrations, post-golf drinks or even just to watch the sun set over the beautiful West Sands.
The St Andrews Brewing Company
The St Andrews Brewing Company is a firm favourite amongst many students and locals alike. This bar fills up almost every night and is the best place in town to go for casual drinks with friends or family. The layout is highly innovative and modern, with barrels used as counters and three main corners with sofas, couches and large tables. There is even a German-style beer hall upstairs with benches stretching across the entire length of the room, providing a completely unique and sociable setting. The bar has developed a reputation for its wide choice of high-end whiskies and gins, but it really excels in its selection of over 170 beers, ales and a cider so popular that it’s subtitled ‘this is the one you like’ on the drinks’ board. The staff are incredibly helpful and well-informed about the drinks on offer and are usually happy to give detailed recommendations if you don’t know exactly what you’re looking for.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.