Frequently touted as one of the fastest-growing cities in Scotland, Inverness is best known for its charming city centre, rich heritage and proximity to the scenic Scottish Highlands – including Loch Ness. With so many things to see and do and a landscape teeming with wildlife, it’s the perfect place to visit with your four-legged friend. Here are the top hotels waiting to welcome you and your furry companion.
With a mix of holiday apartments and hotel rooms on offer, Glen Mhor is sure to have something to suit your stay. The hotel itself is found just a short walk along the water’s edge of the serene River Ness and gives guests a bright, open environment for them and their pets to truly relax in. If you’re looking for a more private stay at the hotel, consider renting the amazing River View House, a fully furnished holiday home ideal for big family groups with their pet pals.
Built nearly 150 years ago, Craigmonie today is the perfect picture of Highland hospitality. Found just a short walk out of the centre of Inverness and in a peaceful residential area, Craigmonie has a traditional sensibility in its decor and atmosphere, while still offering guests the modern experience that they expect, such as free wi-fi, en-suite bathrooms and luxury complimentary toiletries. The hotel charges a very reasonable fee of £5 extra per pet, but be sure to let the front desk know before your arrival.
Found along a wooded part of the picturesque River Ness, the Best Western Inverness Palace Hotel & Spa is a firm favourite of guests visiting the city. Offering a great all-round experience, the Palace provides guests with the same great service and comfortable rooms that have earned Best Western its sterling reputation. With a choice of rooms, suites or holiday apartments, this pet-friendly hotel in Inverness is sure to have something to suit your stay. Just outside, you can take a great walk along the city’s central river; it makes for a pleasant evening stroll with your canine companion.
A luxury hotel on the outskirts of the city, Kingsmills offers a true highland experience for both its guests and its pooches. Set amid a beautiful backdrop of pristine gardens, this 4-star hotel has a collection of exceptionally designed rooms, filled with creature comforts for you and your creature, such as soft cotton sheets, free wi-fi and a flat-screen TV. For an authentic Highland stay, be sure to stop by Kingsmills’ in-house bar, supposedly the best-stocked drinkery in the city.
One of the leading taprooms in the city, the Black Isle Bar prides itself on its top-quality beers, food and board. First opened as a place for guests to enjoy their expertly brewed beers, Black Isle has since gone on to open its own bar rooms and, in 2018, the Black Isle Hostel, a great option for large groups looking for an easy choice in the city. The 14 simple but sizeable private rooms are perfect for a getaway, and the dog-loving owners offer a pet-friendly stay for just a £10 charge.
Based in central Inverness, the Beaufort Hotel is an excellent option for guests wanting to spend as much time exploring the city as possible. With its close proximity to some of the city’s best-known attractions, including the Inverness Museum and Art Gallery, and to the buzzing city centre, the Beaufort makes an excellent starting point for your time in Inverness. The hotel has a number of useful services to make your stay as relaxing as possible, including room service, complimentary in-room breakfast and daily housekeeping.
Set in the beautiful countryside, Bunchrew House Hotel is the perfect location for exploring the surrounding Highlands. Formerly a country house with a history dating back to the 17th century, Bunchrew has been welcoming guests as a hotel for the last 30 years. Inside the traditional setting, you’ll find each of the individually named rooms to be a true home away from home, with personal touches such as fresh milk delivered daily to your room. The local landscape is teeming with wildlife and natural beauty, which makes it a great place for your puppy pals to explore.
A recently refurbished hotel, restaurant and bar in the city centre, Blackfriars makes for excellent pet-friendly accommodation in Inverness. This hotel wants each of its rooms to tell a story, and so they are named after famous chapters in the city’s local history. With room for up to three dogs or cats for an extra £20 on your reservation, you can make sure no furry friend will be left behind during your time in Inverness.
Just a short walk from Inverness train station, Penta Hotel offers a fresh take on the hotel concept. With 90 carefully crafted rooms built around its central Pentalounge, Penta Inverness looks to offer guests a fun, easy and relaxing stay during their time in the city. The Pentalounge itself is designed to fit every guest’s needs, with a bar and restaurant serving a delicious range of food and drink, game tables and consoles for when you’re wanting to take a break, and workspace for those visiting the city for business reasons. Pets are welcomed at a small extra cost on the reservation, with space enough in each room for a comfortable stay with your canine or cat.
Not found what you’re looking for? Book into one of the best pet-friendly hotels in Scotland, or check out our guide to the best places to stay in Inverness for a local experience, bookable with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.