With the outrageously stunning scenery and wild places of Glencoe attracting visitors from across the globe, it is no wonder there are some excellent locations to refuel hungry bodies, perhaps tired from walking up the mountains, or exploring the glen itself. Ingredients are fresh and locally sourced, whether from the land or the sea, and the quality of the dishes on offer may surprise you! Here are five places you should definitely try.
The Holly Tree
Often mentioned as one of the finest seafood restaurants in the Highlands, The Holly Tree menu is mouthwateringly alluring. With exceptional views across Loch Linnhe, this loch-side delight receives fresh and locally caught seafood and fish daily, as well as sourcing meats from only the finest local suppliers. Seasonality is a crucial part of the restaurant’s ethos, and the food is always top-notch. If you wish to eat in a less formal setting, the hotel also offers the Captain’s Bar, which serves soup and sandwiches from 12pm to 5pm, and bar meals and snacks from 12pm to 930pm.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Glencoe Gathering
Just because the Glencoe Gathering offers a more casual setting than its sister restaurant, the excellent Glencoe Inn next door, doesn’t mean the food isn’t also wonderful! Describing itself as a posh fish and chips house, the menu follows the seasons, with ingredients sourced close by. With options including lobster, black pudding, scallops and, of course, fish and chips, this is an excellent place to rest weary feet. As a bonus there is live music at the weekends, adding to the tradition of warm Highland hospitality.
This is a place with a true depth of history, over three hundred years of it! It has acquired a legendary reputation with lovers of the outdoors, serving the great food to keep walkers, climbers, skiers, and mountain bikers going, or fill up after a long day. With some wonderful choices, such as venison pastrami, Stornoway black pud, game pie, and haggis (including a veggie haggis option), it may take a while to choose what you want to eat! It should also be mentioned that the whisky and ale selection is extensive.
With a Michelin starred chef running the kitchen and only the very best of locally sourced ingredients, it is definitely advisable to book ahead if you fancy eating here! The menu can change from day to day, depending on what is in season or has been caught. Expect big-city flair and craft, but at far more reasonable prices. The beautiful but filling desserts deserve a special mention.
Loch Leven Seafood Café
Open every day until the end of October, if you love your seafood this is a must-visit. It is impossible to source fresher seafood than here, as the locally caught shellfish are kept in storage tanks next door, awaiting export around the world or a quick trip to your plate. Dishes can be deceptively simple, but this lets the fresh, delicious, and natural flavours do the talking. Oysters, crab, lobster, scallops and razor clams are the stars of the menu (try the shellfish platter, you won’t regret it), although there are also locally caught fish and non-seafood dishes available. Booking ahead is highly recommended and the café is also open for snacks and coffees outside these opening hours.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.