An ever-transforming neighbourhood of trendy food spots, stylistically graffitied walls and heady after-dark hangouts, Shoreditch is an eclectic whirlwind of gritty and glam, with plenty of hotels to match.
Over the past decade, Shoreditch has been transformed from a relatively unknown grungy East London suburb to arguably the hippest hangout in town. Its proximity to places such as Columbia Road Flower Market and Brick Lane make it one of the most popular areas to stay in the city. If you’re looking to enjoy everything the area has to offer without blowing the budget on accommodation, take a look at the best cheap hotels in Shoreditch.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In a cookie-and-milk-coloured converted office building, the Z Hotel Shoreditch has everything you need and none of the costly extras you can do without. Rooms are functional and minimalist (neutral tones and pale wood panels) but high-end where it matters, with thick cushy beds and slick Samsung HDTVs, plus the optional breakfast is affordable and available to go. Built in the new Bower area of Old Street, it is situated in a creative hub of quirky art galleries, trendy cafés perfect for people-watching and atmospheric speakeasies, such as cocktail bar Nightjar. Rooms range from doubles to family size, along with several accessible options.
Among all the madness of Shoreditch, you’ll find Point A, a basic pit stop that’ll give you a good night’s sleep and have you raring to explore the neighbourhood. Stripped back to the essentials, the hotel has invested in what matters, such as Hypnos beds, power showers, smart TVs and super-fast Wi-Fi. Get up and head down to the breakfast bar in the morning, which serves a vast selection of cereals.
Situated near the centre of the action in the neighbourhood, citizenM London Shoreditch places guests within a five-minute walk of not only Shoreditch High Street railway station but also Concrete Space – for a thumping night out. It’s also near Boxpark Shoreditch, Dinerama, Pizza East and plenty of other fantastic food and drinks venues. Rooms are compact, but you still get king-size beds, wall-to-wall windows, rain showers and extras like blackout blinds.
A city staple, this converted Victorian boozer and boutique hotel sits proudly on the corner of Commercial Street, the bustling nerve centre of Shoreditch. The five rooms blend industrial lighting with rugged wood shelves, sheepskin rugs and woven pouffes in modern prints, while further comfort can be found beneath the cascade of the rainfall showers. A greenhouse aesthetic dominates the bar downstairs, with huge windows that flood the space with natural light, ribbed-glass bar racks, chipped brick-and-plaster walls and hanging plants that nod to the building’s herbalist namesake. On the roof, try a signature seasonal cocktail amid a leafy labyrinth of plant life – backdropped by the glass-and-concrete cityscape.
An optical wonder straight from the sci-fi cityscape of Star Trek, the exterior of M by Montcalm’s 23-storey building hints at what awaits inside. The restaurant and bar have been made eclectic with subtle neon lighting, industrial metal and studded leather seating – don’t miss the artisanal bakery, where you can indulge in home-made cakes and pastries throughout the day. Seek out the aquatic-themed spa for a massage, Environ facial or soothing soak in the Jacuzzi. On the upper floors, rooms can range from the practical deluxe to the expansive sky suites, where you can don a luxury bathrobe and admire the sweeping city vistas.
Chloe Byrne contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.