Thanks to Birmingham’s central location, bustling canal network and close proximity to picturesque parks, there are some wonderful winter walks on offer to those looking to go for a leisurely stroll or a brisk walk. Here are some of the best!
Lickey Hills Country Park
Birmingham may feel like a concrete jungle at times, but around a 20 minute drive south-west of the city is the Lickey Hills, one of the city’s most beautiful areas for winter walks. This 524-acre country park offers one of the best vantage views in the West Midlands. Approximately 500,000 people per year visit this wonderful woodland, which has various walking, wildlife and geology trails for you to discover.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Woodgate Valley Country Park
This 250-acre south Birmingham park occupying land in Bartley Green and Quinton has eight miles of paths to explore, perfect for a winter stroll. There are various walking routes of a varying difficulty across the country park, some of which link up to other sought-after walking routes such as the North Worcestershire Footpath.
A little further out but definitely worth the trip, Earlswood Lakes is a stunning trio of reservoirs in Warwickshire, famous for supplying water to the nearby town of Stratford-upon-Avon. Beautiful in any season, Earlswood is popular with fishers and walkers alike, as people flock here to get a taste of country life near its neighbouring towns and cities.
Slap bang in the middle of Birmingham and West Bromwich is Sandwell Valley, which sits on the River Tame. One of the more picturesque areas in the West Midlands, this park has farms, woods, pools and streams, making it picture perfect for a brisk walk or winter stroll.
Who knew that such beautiful woodland could be so close to the metropolis that is Birmingham? Around a 20-minute drive from central Birmingham is the Clent Hills, offering unrivalled views of the city and beyond. At its peak, the Clent Hills are 316m above sea level and the Cotswolds and Peak District can be viewed if it’s a really clear day! Wrap up warm though as it can get chilly up there…
Sutton Park is one of the largest urban parks in Europe and offers fantastic walking trails and scenery. Set over more than 2,400 acres, this National Nature Reserve can be found in the north of the city and similarly to Sandwell Valley, is one of the more picturesque walks in Birmingham. With seven lakes, woodlands, heathlands and marshes, as well as cattle and wild ponies grazing, it’s a walk you should tick off your list.
City centre canals
For something a little different, why not try a winter walk along Birmingham’s vast canal network? Gas Street Basin in the city centre is the epicentre of the West Midlands’ canal hub and is flanked by Brindleyplace, the Mailbox and a number of canalside bars, restaurants and tourist attractions. You can really make a day out of it here.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.