One of London’s coolest cultural hubs, Brixton is known for its quirky, hyper-local spaces, somewhat hedonistic nightlife and excellent food. While most visitors spend their time wandering through Brixton Market, walk a bit further and you’ll discover the parts of Brixton that locals love most. From exploring Market Row to admiring the view from Brockwell Park, these are the top things to do when you’re heading south of the Thames.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Post-Brixton Market feast, it’s time for a craft beer tasting at Brixton Brewery. The taproom has sat under a railway arch since it first opened in 2013. Each of its beers, named after Brixton landmarks such as Coldharbour lager and Electric IPA, are crafted in small batches which are now sold nationwide.
While most people head to Primrose Hill or Parliament Hill in Hampstead Heath for a glimpse at London’s iconic skyline, those in the know go to Brockwell Park instead. On Sundays, pick up freshly made doughnuts or gelato at Herne Hill Market and take it to the park – head to the top of the hill near the tennis courts or right at the back for the best views. For a touch of tranquillity, retreat to the walled garden, which is particularly beautiful in the spring.
This beloved local landmark has been plonked near the Herne Hill entrance to Brockwell Park since 1937. While summer is when it truly shines – you will need to book your swim slot well in advance – the lido is open all year-round. Inside, you will find a pool, gym, exercise classes – like yoga and HIIT – as well as a cafe. It even features in the pages of Libby Page’s novel, The Lido.
Brixton has been home to strong African and Caribbean communities ever since immigrants settled in the area following World War II. Their history is celebrated at the Black Cultural Archives – the only centre of its kind in the whole country – with a collection including personal mementoes, photographs and rare books. The BCA also puts on tours, history walks and special exhibitions, many of which cost just a few pounds.
This second-hand bookshop is a real treasure trove, stocking everything from poetry and plays to cookery and craft books. The apparent lack of organisational system at Bookmongers just adds to its charm and increases your chances of stumbling across a gem – but the owner Patrick is on hand to offer guidance if you need it. There’s even a shop dog to keep you company while you browse.
Great Caribbean food isn’t hard to find in Brixton but Fish, Wings and Tings serves up more than jerk chicken and curry goat. Trinidadian chef Brian Danclair has combined his French training with flavours from his home to create nouvelle Caribbean cuisine. The result is dishes like prawn roti with curried chickpea and codfish fritters with ginger and lime aioli – plus a whole range of homemade sauces.
The Ritzy is a true Brixton institution. It’s one of the oldest cinemas in south London and still retains that vintage feel with its varied programme of new releases, indie screenings and late-night showings. And it’s not just about movies and popcorn – the bar overlooking Windrush Square is a great place to grab a drink and the upstairs café plays host to a range of club nights.
Looking for more city adventures? Check out our list of the best things to do in London.
Christina Dean contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.