Birmingham is jam-packed with fun things to do with the kids. Whether it’s half-term or you’re stuck for ideas on the weekend, here’s where to take them in the Second City.
A visitor attraction since 1990, Cadbury World is sure to go down well with the kids – who doesn’t like chocolate? Explore the fantastic history of the Cadbury brand in its original Bournville home, an operating factory since the early 1900s. There are interactive activities, the famous Cadabra ride, an outdoor play area, café, gift shop and so much more to see and do.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
National SEA LIFE Centre Birmingham
Birmingham’s SEA LIFE Centre is home to more than 2,000 creatures and is situated in the middle of the city’s bustling Brindleyplace district. If you plan your trip in advance you may even be able to catch talks and feeding times with penguins, sharks and turtles, among other species.
Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery
The city’s biggest museum offers free entry, although donations are welcomed. Here, kids can learn all about the Victorians, the Egyptians, the Romans and World War II in the museum’s various exhibition halls and activity rooms, with the latter packed with interactive displays.
IMAX and 4DX cinema
For a unique experience, why not indulge in some 3D cinema? Cineworld on Broad Street is the home of IMAX 3D, and more recently 4DX, a revolutionary cinematic experience that stimulates all the senses. Special effects in 4DX include wind, fog, lightning, rain, bubbles and scents, which kids are guaranteed to love.
Birmingham Wildlife Conservation Park
Previously called the Nature Centre, the Wildlife Conservation Park sits next to Cannon Hill Park and is home to an array of animals from across the world, including red pandas, lynxes, monkeys and wallabies. With entry costs staying low and the free-entry mac Birmingham in the park next door, the Conservation Park makes for a great (and affordable) day out.
Ackers is an outdoor adventure park based in Sparkbrook, just outside the city centre. Perfect for all the family, Ackers offers dry slopes for skiing, snowboarding and tobogganing, as well as spaces for climbing, water sports and orienteering activities.
Thinktank Science Museum
Birmingham’s Thinktank, conveniently situated in the city centre, is an award-winning museum that celebrates all things scientific – with a local twist. Take the Spitfire exhibition for example, which explores the aircraft’s part in World War II and its lasting effect on the city of Birmingham. Here, you’ll also find exhibitions on the industrial heritage of Birmingham plus a planetarium, galleries and interactive displays on marine worlds, natural sciences and future medical advancements.
Cocks Moors Woods Leisure Centre
One of the largest leisure centres in Birmingham, Cocks Moors Woods is a great way to keep the kids happy. Sporting a swimming pool with a wave machine, plus a 50-metre flume and a baby pool, the centre caters for all ages. For the teens and young adults in the family, gym classes are also available. During seasonal periods the leisure centre also hosts special events such as roller discos and pool parties.
The Birmingham Botanical Gardens
If you have a budding Alan Titchmarsh in the family, make sure to visit the Botanical Gardens. Not only is the garden home to buildings and monuments dating back to the 1800s, including an original brick shelter from the Cadbury factory, there are over 30 horticultural areas to explore. Take the Victorian greenhouses for example, proudly showing off over 1,000 exotic and unusual plants, or the beautifully quaint Japanese garden with its variety of bonsai trees.
Lickey Hills Country Park
For the explorers in the family, look no further than the Lickey Hills. Located in Rednal on the southern edge of Birmingham, this country park boasts 212 hectares of unspoilt land. This certified country park has a Green Flag award (recognising it as one of the top green spaces in the UK) and is home to wildlife including lizards, grass snakes and a range of birds. If exploring has tired the kids out, head for the park’s café next to the car park.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.