When you’re not enjoying a swim on the South West coast, there are plenty of hotels with pools to choose from in Devon. From one that overlooks Combesgate Beach to a delightfully designed art deco pool in the heart of Dartmoor National Park. These are Devon’s best hotels with pools, bookable with Culture Trip.
With a pool that overlooks Combesgate Beach (and almost Croyde Bay), and with Lundy Island straight ahead, you’d be forgiven for thinking you were swimming in the shimmering sea – albeit an unseasonably warm one. You needn’t worry about booking the dud room at the Watersmeet, as almost everyone option offers a sea vista. But for the best view in the house, head to the waterfront Pavilion restaurant for a lobster bisque with brandy cream.
Despite the rugged terrain surrounding Gara Rock – think heather-strewn heaths and dramatic cliffs – this artfully-decorated spa hotel in Devon oozes indulgence. Framed with rustic wood panelling which lends a warming Nordic vibe, the mosaic-tiled indoor pool is where to plunge post-Sauna, while the upper-deck outdoor pool runs alongside the ocean offering all the benefits of wild swimming with the comfort of being able to order a tipple while you paddle.
A popular spot for locals wanting to escape the crowds on the beach below, Saunton Sands is shorthand for beachy luxury (yes, they are compatible). Thanks to the Instagram-favourite infinity pool overlooking the ocean, the spa is in constant demand. Make the most of guest privileges and enjoy the view at sunrise before spa days start at 10am.
Hotel Du Vin’s relaxing REN spa, in the heart of Exeter, is hidden from view behind a walled garden. The pool flows between inside and outside; a few laps (and a Prosecco or two), and you’ll forget you’re in a city that homes two shopping centres, a bustling university and several cinemas and theatres, not to mention the ancient Medieval passages that snake below it all.
The pool at the Osborne is such a hit that the hotel offers swim-only memberships, though only for the indoor pool. The outdoor pool is exclusively for hotel guests – who can choose from 33 individually designed rooms – looking out towards Meadfoot Beach, while its bean-shaped silhouette echoes the Regency crescent where the hotel sits.
Forget about screaming kids splashing about the pool, Kaywana Hall is adults-only, plus, with an intimate amount of rooms (four, to be precise), there will be no need to lay your towel out the night before either. The wall-to-wall sliding door in the Beech Room leads out to a private terrace overlooking the water and comes with the perk of private access for an early morning swim.
Looking for more places to stay in Devon? With picturesque villages, boundless moorland and delicious food, Devon’s untouched natural beauty provides an ideal backdrop for a romantic getaway, especially when staying at one of these romantic hotels. Devon also offers a beautiful, beach-fringed coastline with lots of kid-friendly things to do, as well as top-rated family friendly hotels, bookable with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.