No city break to Bristol is complete without visiting Clifton Suspension Bridge, towering high over the Avon Gorge. Stay at one of these stylish hotels nearby – all bookable with Culture Trip.
Clifton Suspension Bridge is a defining part of the Bristol landscape, symbolising the city’s bold and independent spirit. It was designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel in 1831, and, today, it is one of the oldest surviving iron suspension bridges in the world. The bridge offers commanding views over the Avon Gorge, best admired at sunrise or sunset. Book one of these top places to stay for easy access to this Bristol icon.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Located just minutes from Clifton Suspension Bridge, the Rodney Hotel is as convenient as it is charming. The hotel dates back to 1798 and, centuries later, still upholds its classic Georgian style. Tuck into local produce from the seasonal menu at the AA Rosette-awarded No.4 Restaurant on site, which boasts a quaint walled garden terrace for al fresco dining in the warmer months.
The highly praised Bristol Hotel features 187 sleek rooms and is only a 13-minute drive from the Clifton Suspension Bridge. Each room comes with duck down duvets and marble bathrooms as standard. The hotel occupies a central spot in the waterside creative quarter of the city. Make sure you dine on fresh seafood, sourced from the nearby fishing port of Brixham, at the hotel’s riverfront brasserie.
You can’t miss the 18-storey-high Radisson Blu; the glass and steel façade towers over the harbour. Enjoy a glass of red at the waterfront bar on arrival. Floor-to-ceiling windows from the rooms offer sweeping views across Bristol. This hotel is conveniently located within steps of the main attractions in the city, including Cabot Circus. Catch the bus to nearby Clifton Village. From here, it’s only a short walk to the Suspension Bridge.
Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel has been welcoming guests in its marble foyer for more than 150 years. Catch the sunset at Clifton Suspension Bridge before enjoying dinner at the hotel restaurant, Miller & Carter. Alternatively, flop into bed with a movie and room service; don’t be surprised if you’re distracted by the views overlooking the river, College Green or Bristol Cathedral. Perks include onsite parking, which is especially handy given the central location.
The Avon Gorge stretches out below this grand Victorian hotel in Clifton, offering arguably the best view of the Suspension Bridge. It’s best enjoyed from the Signature Suite, featuring twin freestanding baths overlooking Brunel’s creation below. Dry off, and head down to the White Lion Bar for a gin cocktail – we recommend the gimlet – served in a glass goblet. Book the Goram & Vincent restaurant for baked scallop pie or roasted Welsh lamb.
Just a 10-minute stroll from Clifton Suspension Bridge, the Victoria Square Hotel spreads across two Victorian villas. 41 ensuite rooms overlook a leafy square in Clifton. Rooms range from singles for solo travellers to family suites sleeping three. Downstairs, there’s a cosy restaurant serving breakfast and dinner – opt for the full English to set you up for the day ahead.
From bed and breakfasts, boutique hotels, to authentic stays to make you feel like a local, Bristol has it all – bookable now with Culture Trip. Fill your day with all the must-see landmarks, or even head to one of the nearby beaches, if the weather is nice, before taking advantage of the nightlife Bristol is becoming renowned for.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.