Box Hill, Surrey, has long been a favourite spot among Londoners seeking a countryside escape, sweeping views and scenic woodland walks. Here, we round up the best hotels and B&Bs nearby, all bookable with Culture Trip.
Box Hill is a beautiful National Trust site and one of the finest landmarks in Surrey. In the early 19th century, the chalk hill featured in the Jane Austen novel, Emma, and is now home to story-worthy walking routes, ranging from easy strolls to more challenging trail hikes. Whichever you pick, rest up at one of these top hotels.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This former coaching inn, sandwiched between the slopes of Denbies wine estate and the North Downs, is only 6mi (10km) from Box Hill. The hotel dates back to 1278, though it had a spruce up in 2018. It’s dog-friendly, so if you’re bringing your pooch on your Box Hill hike, they’ll be more than welcome here. The restaurant, the Dozen, specialises in Surrey produce – try the Barrel & Stone pizza.
This historic mansion in the rolling Surrey Hills has a romantic Italian garden, Roman temples, fountains, grottoes and 13 acres (5ha) of landscaped gardens. Hunter wellies and umbrellas are available to borrow by the oak front door. The suites, accessed via a 17th-century staircase, feature chesterfield sofas and writing desks, plus roll-top baths and double vanity sinks in the bathroom.
Denbies Vineyard Hotel offers far-reaching views, a peaceful setting and ample room for parking. It is one of the first vineyard hotels in Britain and comprises 14 double rooms with ensuite bathrooms and three premium suites – all decorated in a contemporary country vibe. A stay here isn’t complete without a visit to the Vineyard Restaurant where you can relax and sample delicious wines.
This family-run B&B in the village of Holmbury, is homely, welcoming and a perfect spot for a quiet country hideout. Choose from one of three private ensuite cottages, all of which are accessed from the courtyard. The lodges are self-catered, though you can opt for a full English breakfast which is served daily in the dining room. In the afternoons, sip a cup of tea on the garden patio with views over the paddocks.
Just a seven-minute drive from Box Hill, this bed and breakfast makes an ideal base for exploring the scenery of Surrey. You’ll be greeted with coffee and home-baked cakes in the elegant dining room, from which you can also enjoy views of the secluded garden and conservation area. The Victorian house seamlessly blends quintessential English grace with first-class comfort. The guest rooms are spacious and beds are beautifully made with fresh white linen. For dinner, wander into Dorking town centre for a meal at one of the restaurants.
Gatton Manor is one of the county’s hidden gems, its 200 acres (81ha) spread across the Surrey Hills and surrounded by woodlands, gardens, rivers and lakes. This 18-bedroom hotel and golf club is home to a championship course, designed by architect Cdr John D Harris. After a round of golf, relax by the fireplace at the Clubhouse bar, or swing by the restaurant for a traditional Sunday roast served with fluffy potatoes, parsnips, honey roast carrots and Yorkshire puds.
This country hotel, built in 1885, oozes charm and tranquillity and is within easy reach of Box Hill. The Grade II-listed building was one of the first houses in the UK to have electric lighting. Now, you can expect sculptured ceilings, oak panelling and comfy king-size beds in every room. It’s also dog-friendly, so bring along your pooch and set off early for a sunrise walk at Box Hill.
Situated in the village of Chilworth, the Percy Arms is just 12mi (19km) from Box Hill. As you walk through the doors of the small village pub, you’ll step into a corner of South Africa, rather than traditional English surroundings. Bedrooms are named after Africa’s Big Five and reflect the style of a colonial hunting lodge, with animal-skin carpets draped over hardwood floors. British cuisine with a South African twist is served at the pub restaurant, with steaks and game being firm favourites on the menu.
Inspire your local itinerary with the top things to see and do in Surrey. Looking for somewhere different to stay? Book into one of the best hotels near Hampton Court Palace, on Surrey’s Greater London boundary.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.