Looking for homespun hospitality on your next Cornish break? Sumptuous baths, four-poster beds, sea views and nautical style set the standard at these stays in England’s southwest.
From elegant town houses to beachside pads, these guest houses are the best of the best. Some have boutique touches such as luxury linen and toiletries; others offer a rural retreat with killer views of the coast and countryside. Here’s our guide to the best guest houses in Cornwall.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Cliftons is a Victorian villa handily located in the heart of Truro. Inside, original features remain, from fireplaces to bay windows, and there’s a homely feel thanks to printed wallpaper, colourful bedspreads and comfy sofas. All six rooms feature ensuite bathrooms with sweet-smelling Cole & Lewis toiletries. There’s a communal lounge to relax in, and cyclists can make use of on-site bike storage.
The location of Tregony is stellar – with sea views to boot. Set above Porthmeor Beach and the Tate Gallery, you’re only a five-minute walk from the cobbled streets of St Ives, while remaining far removed from peak-season crowds. The five bedrooms are whitewashed and have a subtle nautical theme, plus White Company linen and device docks to help you drift off to sleep. Breakfast features favourites such as the full English, dippy eggs, omelettes and smoked haddock.
Set on the seafront in Newquay, Tregella is perfectly placed for those seeking quick and easy access to the beach. You’re also just a short stroll from the town’s independent cafés, cute boutiques and surf shops. The six guest rooms are all individually styled in shades of green, gold and grey, and a cooked breakfast is served in the smart dining room overlooking Towan beach.
With every room looking out over sweeping countryside towards the sea, Fig Tree House has the feel of a real rural retreat. The former farmhouse is set in lush fields teeming with swallows, rabbits and badgers, and its three bedrooms have a vibrant feel, with bright throws and woven wall tapestries. There’s a cosy communal lounge, complete with a log burner, and an orangery where you can tuck into breakfast while gazing at the superlative views. Try the herby mushrooms, cooked on the range in the owner’s kitchen.
A warm welcome awaits at Lyonesse, well placed for exploring the beaches and boutiques of Falmouth. The three rooms have some unusual quirks, such as a built-in loft bed, handmade soft furnishings and vintage-style Roberts radios. Thoughtful touches include real milk and home-baked cakes in your room. Breakfast can be eaten around the large dining table or delivered to your door – a basket filled with a flask of tea, fresh juice and bacon sarnies made with thick home-made bread.
Rebecca, Jamaica Inn and Frenchman’s Creek are the names of the three guest bedrooms at Mandeley, in honour of books by the writer Daphne du Maurier, who spent much of her life in Cornwall. Each looks out onto peaceful gardens and has an ensuite bathroom. Guests can relax beside the fire in the communal lounge and take breakfast in the dining room – there’s a good range of options, from full English to smoked salmon. The owners will happily suggest things to do during your stay.
Blending traditional style with modern comforts, Chapel House is an elegant Georgian townhouse with six pared-back double rooms, featuring whitewashed walls, waterfall showers, sumptuous baths and four-poster beds. At breakfast, enjoy fresh juices and meals served to order, from avo on toast to a full English. Don’t miss the nearby galleries of Penzance, or check out St Michael’s Mount, a 10-minute drive away.
There’s a fascinating history to this guest house, which was the first residential property on Falmouth’s coastal Gyllyngvase Road when it was built in 1880. It’s now a comfortable and contemporary guest house with 12 refurbished rooms, just a two-minute walk from the gold sands of Gyllyngvase beach. Downstairs, a lounge with leather sofas and an honesty bar overlook the garden. The owners serve a mean brekkie of cooked-to-perfection eggs each morning.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.