York might be renowned for being one of the pricier cities to visit in England. But you can still find affordable places to stay for a weekend getaway to explore York Minster, the Shambles, Jorvik Viking Centre and more. Here’s our roundup of the best cheap hotels so you can get the best value out of this historic city, bookable with Culture trip
Ten miles (16km) outside of York, this former Victorian manor home sits within acres and acres of North Yorkshire countryside. The exterior might radiate Victorian grandeur, but rooms are surprisingly sleek and modern inside. Upgrade your stay with champagne, chocolates and fresh fruit on arrival, or indulge in some fine dining in the restaurant. Seasonal specials, like spiced belly pork, sit alongside pub grub classics on the menu, and the Sunday roast – laden with Yorkshire puddings, of course – is a sight to behold.
Right in the heart of the rambling, medieval streets of York, Galtres Lodge radiates history from every timber beam and stone fireplace. It’s not often that the standard rooms are the most characterful, but the small doubles here, tucked under the ancient eaves of the building, are quintessential medieval York. FOREST restaurant is an Instagram dream, dappled with plantlife and with a secret, heated garden out the back. Folk flock here for the scrumptious brunches and Yorkshire-produce-heavy dinner like the whole Yorkshire hog and rack of local lamb.
Upon first glance, it’s hard to believe that the Middletons Hotel in York could be deemed as an affordable place to stay. Spread across an impressive six Grade II-listed buildings, Middletons is teeming with history – you don’t need to leave the premises to be transported back in time. The homely Cosy Room comes with proper chunky biscuits and fresh milk for a morning brew.
With a hostel vibe at its core, Safestay York boasts both private and dorm rooms inside its quirky walls. The on-site bar area serves traditional pub food with an affordable price tag. Additionally, there are several common areas, including a dining hall kitted out with kitchen appliances, such as a toaster, kettle and fridge to store your own goods. Safestay York has thought of your every need when it comes to a comfortable, convenient stay.
In the dreamy location of Bootham Crescent, Vikings Accommodation has an added touch of luxury at an affordable price. It encompasses everything about the Victorian era that it was built in, yet its rooms feel as though they were expertly decorated only yesterday. Inside the guest rooms, you’ll find a cosy fireplace, ornate wooden desks and fluffy throws for the ultimate cosy sojourn.
Rarely will you find a York hotel with an outstanding location for such an affordable price, but that’s exactly what you’ll find at Elmbank Hotel. Overlooking the remarkable grounds of York Racecourse, the rooms feature bright, bold fabrics and modern furniture with a chic vibe. Leetham’s Brasserie is the on-site hotel restaurant – the chefs’ expertise in Yorkshire dining boasts dishes such as ham hock terrine, lamb leg steak and succulent Angus beef burger.
With carefully restored rooms maintaining the original charm of the listed building, Holmwood House Hotel is a wonderful hotel in York for a quiet break. Each room has its own elegant, unique decor, while the rest of the property feels warm and welcoming as you make your way through the hotel walkways. While dinner isn’t available at Holmwood House Hotel, you can certainly enjoy a fabulous breakfast feast of croissants, fruits, muesli, kippers and more.
Astor York is a hostel with private rooms, as well as small and large dorms. Comforts such as a self-catering kitchen, bar area, dining hall and outdoor terrace are all included in your stay at Astor York. Those looking to hit the town while in York will be pleased to know that your electronic keycard grants you 24-hour access to the property, while lockers, padlocks and adaptors are on hand to make your stay accessible and enjoyable.
Suzy Pope contributed additional reporting to this article.
For more great hotel options in York, check out our pick of the best hotels in York, England, bookable on Culture Trip. For a stylish stay, check out our pick of the best boutique hotels in York, bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.