Bristol has rapidly become the city with the most global and top-ranking restaurants in England, second only to the capital. This thriving foodie nirvana is bursting with variety, from British classics to exotic sashimi and Japanese tapas. Discover the ten best restaurants in Bristol’s Clifton neighborhood.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Any sushi enthusiast will gravitate to Noa, one of the best restaurants in Clifton to enjoy washoku (traditional Japanese dishes) in a bright and vibrant environment. Noa Japanese Restaurant and Bar brings contemporary Japanese cuisine and culture to Bristol, served in its cozy Manga lounge or the Gojira dining area and cocktail bar. Noah’s menu caters for sushi, sashimi and noodle lovers, and they also offer ‘J-style’ tapas, an innovative twist to traditional Japanese cuisine.
Rack’s Bar & Kitchen
Perched just underneath the Clifton Hotel, Rack’s Bar & Kitchen serves a great British Sunday roast. Rack’s Bar & Kitchen also boasts over 12 different screens spread across the venue where they show all the big games and must-see sports matches. This quirky restaurant’s outdoor terrace is popular in the Bristol summers; in winter guests gravitate to the comfortable sofas in the hotel wine cellars as a warmer alternative.
No. 4 restaurant operates out of a beautiful Georgian mansion house in central Clifton village. A popular venue for boutique weddings for its picturesque aesthetic, this sophisticated restaurant’s à la carte menu changes regularly to reflect the seasonally and locally sourced ingredients; try the rarebit crusted ribeye steak if it’s on the card. The restaurant has frequent offers and meals-for-two deals for those looking for a great place to treat themselves to a top-quality meal on a budget.
The Cowshed aims to do one thing: serve good British food; and they succeed in doing just that with flying colors. The owner, Adam Denton, places great emphasis on sourcing local, fresh ingredients, and bringing the south-west countryside charm to the thriving city of Bristol. They proudly source their meats from their own butchers, Ruby & White, right next door, and keep the menu ‘simple and done well’. The rustic setting in a former cinema creates an honest, charming ambiance.
The Brown’s Bristol building, modeled after the Doge’s palace in Venice, has served many purposes, from the city museum and art gallery to the University’s dining rooms But the venue has found real fame as one of Clifton’s best restaurants, serving British classics with a contemporary twist. Try the Classic Brown’s Burger, plus chef specials, cooked with fresh fish, and lobster nights on Thursdays.
Well off the beaten track, The Lion gastropub in the hilly Clifton woods will make guests feel right at home. The family-run restaurant welcomes their customers with its simple pastel walls, abundance of bunting and fairy lights galore, and is recommended for its hospitable staff and homely menu. From homemade burgers to a great Sunday roast and a traditional English knickerbocker glory ice cream for dessert, the portions are generous and tasty.
The Lido in Clifton is the perfect place to relax in one of the oldest open air pools in the UK, dating back to 1849. The restaurant sits alongside the pool, its Victorian architecture preserved in floor-to-ceiling windows. Excellent service and exquisite food are its key draws; the latter from either the set menu or the à la carte menu. The Lido, also provides a year-round swimming pool and spa if you fancy a dip afterwards.
The Cliffton Sausage
The Clifton Sausage takes pride in creating exquisite and tasty versions of otherwise underrated traditional British cuisine. Furnished with pine tables, candles and yellow and sky-blue walls, it provides Cliftonites with a heaping mouthful of tradition and authenticity with its hearty sausage-based dishes.Vegetarians can join in with some wonderful homemade vegetarian sausages too.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.