In recent years, the sparkling waters of Plymouth’s River Tamar have attracted numerous celebrity chefs from around the UK. Located on the south coast of Devon, England, Plymouth is the perfect place to find fresh fish and chips and enjoy the sunny views of Sutton Harbour. Here’s our guide to 10 of the best restaurants this area has to offer.
Self-described as ‘the most unique’ place in Plymouth to eat, drink, and relax, The Mission is a cafe, bar and restaurant located in a refurbished, 19th-century chapel complete with high, vaulted ceilings, gorgeous stained glass and wooden floors. The decor gives the restaurant a warm ambience, and there is additional seating outside. The restaurant serves a lunch and dinner menu: at lunch, try the house burger, either with cheddar and bacon or mozzarella and chorizo, topped with Cajun slaw and served on a brioche bun with skinny fries. For dinner, try the Cornish pork shoulder or Brixham mussels.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Mission, Sir John Hawkins Square, Palace Street, Plymouth, UK, +44 1752 229955
River Cottage Canteen & Deli
This small chain restaurant is located in a Grade-1 listed, early 19th-century naval depot on the edge of the River Tamar. Celebrity chef Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall puts an emphasis on using fresh produce in every dish, and the menu changes regularly to accommodate seasonal ingredients. Enjoy an affordable dinner of smoked mackerel pate served with toast, fennel and piccalilli or a south coast fish and shellfish stew made with whiting, pollock and mussels served with bread. The restaurant faces the waters of the Plymouth Sound and Cornwall.
Quay 33 is the place to go for home-cooked fresh food served in a bright and friendly atmosphere. Located on the Plymouth Barbican facing out to Sutton Harbour, Quay 33 is open for lunch and dinner and serves an extensive menu. Chef Dave Morgan, formerly of Chambers and Morgans, has created a killer menu using seasonal and local ingredients. Relax with a light lunch, like the free-range chicken and chestnut mushroom risotto, or enjoy one of Dave’s classics, like Dave’s chunky beef steak chilli. For dinner, splurge on a rack of Welsh lamb made with honey and rosemary glaze and served with redcurrant and port sauce, or the Quay 33 fish stew made with mussels, scallops and tiger prawns in a creamy broth.
Quay 33, 33 Southside Street, Barbican, Plymouth, UK, +44 1752 229345
Eat at one of the most scenic restaurants in Plymouth, The Dome which serves speciality cocktails along with afternoon tea, light lunches, and elegant dinners. There are plenty of afternoon tea options, including a Devon cream tea (two warm scones, clotted cream, homemade strawberry preserves and a pot of tea), and full afternoon tea (the same as the previous but with the addition of finger sandwiches and homemade cakes). For dinner, enjoy modern British favourites, including a Sunday roast.
The Dome, The Dome, Plymouth Hoe, Plymouth, UK, +44 1752 266600
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.