With a little planning, there’s no reason why prized pets can’t tag along on a trip to the Cotswolds. Dog-welcoming rooms and pet-specific packages are on the up at an ever-growing number of hotels across the region, including some of its most luxurious addresses. Whether you choose to explore the charming villages or local walks up to Broadway Tower, here are some of the best pet-friendly hotels in the Cotswolds so that you can relax alongside your favourite four-pawed traveller.
Artist Residence brings its signature boho-British flair to a thatched-roof, 16th-century farmhouse in peaceful South Leigh, near Oxford and Burford. Six of nine quirky boutique rooms are dog-friendly. For £15, furry friends get beds, bowls and Lily’s Kitchen treats; owners are spoilt with rain showers, coffee machines, Bramley toiletries and art-centric styling. Stable and Barn Suites have lounges, log burners and freestanding baths. A treat-tastic welcome awaits pooches in the cosy country pub, with crackling fires and Cotswold-inspired cooking, and there are wonderful nearby walks, including around Blenheim Palace.
Canine companions will love the glam-Cotswold lifestyle at the fabulously chic Foxhill, a 1909 Arts and Crafts manor on a 400-acre (162ha) estate between honey-stone Broadway and Chipping Campden. Doggie beds and toys are provided at £30 per pooch. The team can even rustle up dogs’ dinner menus, and the sprawling grounds couldn’t be more perfect for frolicking. Pet parents will be wowed by the eight sleekly styled, bold-design rooms, bespoke dining and tucked-away gardens. Four-legged friends are also welcome at neighbouring sister property Dormy House, known for its dreamy spa.
Pick among Cotswold-retreat packages – starting from £25 – for travelling hounds at Broadway’s paw-friendly 14th-century Lygon Arms. This snugly styled, spa-equipped coaching inn offers dog beds, bowls and treats in dedicated rooms, complete with a Le Chameau kit for the swishest stays. Dogs can roam the garden and enjoy specialised menus, and there’s a post-walk muddy-paws station. The Ultimate Dog Escape package throws in a half-day pup-pampering session, or book a joint Nails and Tails Spa Day (blueberry dog facial included).
Tetbury’s most artily stylish address is a 16th-century townhouse reincarnated with thoughtful, original boutique flair. With prior notice, pooches are more than welcome to stay overnight for £20 in the allocated dog-friendly rooms and can join you over drinks or dinner in the beautiful walled gardens and snug bar – though not in the brasserie restaurant. Nearby Westonbirt Arboretum is perfect for a good scamper around, and trails meander off into the rippling southern Cotswolds.
Bordered by woodlands, walking routes and nearby Windrush, gold-stone Burford is the idyllic Cotswold setting for this cosily converted dog-welcoming inn, with its roots in the 15th century. Among the pooch-friendly pads – £20 per dog, with beds and bowls – the Rosie has a private garden. Wagging tails can join you amid the exposed beams and roaring fireplace in the laid-back pub or out in the gardens. Though the brasserie restaurant – fired by Cotswold produce – is humans-only, canines get sausages at breakfast.
At this honey-walled, 17th-century, foodie-destination mansion, canine guests are as joyfully welcomed as their owners, with in-the-know tips on everything from pet-friendly walks to local groomers. Home-made treats, toys and blankets await them in the smartly luxurious dedicated furry-friend rooms – £30 per dog – and the rambling countryside around Upper and Lower Slaughter makes the perfect playground. Owners can enjoy the manor’s two gourmet restaurants, which pride themselves on innovative, Cotswold-produce dishes.
With Chipping Campden, Broadway, the escarpment and miles of walking paths on the doorstep, the 14th-century, pet-loving Charingworth Manor ticks all the Cotswold-break boxes. Among the antique-dusted, classic-style rooms, seven are paw-friendly, with a toy, bowls, a treat and a welcome letter available at £25 per dog. A couple of them have French doors that open onto grassy lawns, beyond which the grounds and gardens are a delight to roam around. While owners dig into the breakfast buffet, four-legged companions are served a sausage, and staff can recommend dog-friendly walks.
On the Cotswolds’ far-southern fringes, this Grade II-listed 1878 country home sits in 8 acres (3ha) of grounds with walled gardens, herb and fruit plants, an arboretum and a seasonal, heated pool. The cosily updated rooms – washed in soothing pastels and with pops of antiques and wood beams – include a selection for well-behaved four-pawed friends. For £20, each pooch gets a bowl, a bed and treats and can tag along to meals. Walks lead to the River Avon, and Bath is 30 minutes away.
Discover more plush places to stay for you and your pet, with our guide to the best pet-friendly hotels in London, or if you’re visiting with family, check out our guide to the best family-friendly hotels in the Cotswolds, bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.