Nestled between the equally verdant Somerset and Cornwall, Devon comprises moors, woodlands, beach retreats and a Unesco World Heritage site, making it a haven for hikers, water-sport enthusiasts and city-dwellers keen for a dose of vitamin sea. Make the most of your stay in England’s third biggest county by choosing one of these decadent luxury hotels in Devon, from sprawling country piles to cool coastal abodes, all bookable on Culture Trip.
Gara Rock is Pinterest perfection. Set on the South West Coast Path with rambling views of the heather-laced hills and Salcombe Sea, this coastal retreat has a London-leaning aesthetic accented with rugged touches like rattan lampshades and seashell illustrations, which appeal to urban millennials in search of Instagram fodder as well as windy beach walks. Sunrise yoga sessions, a velvet-clad cinema and plants aplenty further cater to the needs of the coastal hotel’s cool, young clientele.
Nothing says luxury quite like a private isle. Arrive in style at Burgh Island, opting for the 50-year-old sea tractor to nip you to the Art Deco hotel at high tide. Its history as a jazz-era institution is celebrated at every turn – from the Palm Court’s majestic glass-domed ceiling to the ballroom’s white grand piano and lavishly decorated 1930s-style rooms – so you might as well embrace it from the off. Book to stay in the Beach House, which was built for Agatha Christie in the 1930s, and enjoy a private sun deck, outdoor hot tub and panoramic sea views.
Dating back to 1626, Lewtrenchard Manor is a popular spot for history buffs wanting to glimpse the original coat of arms, stucco ceilings and oil paintings in the antique-filled Jacobean manor. Rich in both history (12th-century silver coins were found in the walls) and decor – think heavy velvet drapes, ornate fireplaces and Marie Antoinette-style armchairs – the oak-panelled country pile excels at old-world decadence, which makes it extra popular around the festive season.
From the vineyard overlooking the Exe Estuary to the luxury leather goods embossed with Lympstone Manor’s moniker, celebrated chef Michael Caines is at the heart of every venture – and nowhere is his dedication to detail more obvious than in the hotel’s Michelin-star restaurant. The signature tasting menu is a classic for a reason, with surprising and delightful dishes bursting with local, seasonal produce.
For more option, discover our guide to the best hotels in Devon for every traveller, or check out the best boutique hotels in Devon and book now with Culture Trip. For a pet-friendly stay, check out our pick of the best pet-friendly hotels in Devon, bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.