If you’re into anything maritime-related, then Plymouth should be your first port of call. Steeped in the rich – and regularly questionable – history of the British Empire, the Ocean City has been the starting point for many adventures, from the pilgrim fathers leaving for the New World, to expeditions to the South Pacific. There are plenty of places to stay in this popular Devon destination, from luxury accommodation to boutique boltholes – choose from among these top hotels in Plymouth, all bookable with Culture Trip.
Just two minutes away from the Plymouth Hoe, this imposing yet welcoming 19th-century building houses light, modern and spacious accommodation. The rooms are all shapes and sizes, so you can be sure to find one that suits you down to the ground. The hotel shares facilities such as a pool and sauna with the nearby Crowne Plaza, plus the breakfast is generous and comes with veggie and gluten-free options.
A grand, spacious offering with a quirky twist, the Grosvenor is situated on the Plymouth Hoe, close to stunning views of Plymouth Sound, and yards from the bustling city centre. The rooms are spacious and modern, with a continental or cooked breakfast included in the price. Downstairs, there’s a fully stocked bar, and a drawing room to sip on some local gin before going to the theatre.
This imposing Grade II-listed Victorian hotel is in the city centre, so every facet of Plymouth is within reach. You’ll have free access to the hotel’s health club, which boasts an indoor pool, sauna and steam room, as well as a well-equipped, air-conditioned gym with personal trainers on hand. The rooms themselves have the grand proportions you’d expect of a Victorian building, and are clean, comfortable and traditionally furnished.
A touch of loft living in this port city, Royal William Yard offers a stylish alternative for guests who are looking for self-catering accommodation in Plymouth. Situated in Grade I-listed buildings, these contemporary apartments offer sea views, high-end fixtures and fittings, plus they are within easy reach of several popular restaurants. All apartments have fully equipped kitchens, speedy wifi and beautiful bathrooms.
Tasteful and elegant, this boutique B&B, once home to a Navy Admiral, has 14 individually styled bedrooms in the heart of Plymouth. Rooms come with a power shower and luxury toiletries, lovingly restored period fixtures and fittings, and the usual tea and coffee. It’s called a bed and breakfast, but there is also a dinner, bed and breakfast package available, as Bistrot Pierre is just a short stroll from your bedroom.
Sink back on a plush leather sofa in the first-floor family room of this B&B; views from the bay window stretch down to the beach. Twins, singles and doubles are available, with a beige-and-white aesthetic offset by pine furniture and colourful paintings of Plymouth sights. Artwork depicting the local coast also adorns the breakfast room, where the daily menu ranges from a full English to vegan options. Hoe Park, with its iconic lighthouse and seafront lido, is right next door.
The first luxury hotel in Plymouth opened in 1863 and is still impressing guests with its muscular Gothic exterior, Grade II-listed stairway and grand, wood-panelled hallways. Couples can book one of the most romantic experiences in town – afternoon tea for two at the top of the building’s iconic tower, taking in coastal and countryside views as a private butler serves up a decadent array of sandwiches, cakes and scones. Bag the Reynolds Suite for exclusive use of the tower.
A pit stop for weary travellers since the 1600s, this coaching inn on the old Plymouth-Exeter road offers five whitewashed doubles, with country views through sash windows and pops of colour from curtains, bedspreads and cushions. Wander downstairs to eat, setting yourself up with a full English and finishing the day by the fireplace with a pint of ale and a rib-sticking pie of the week (served with mash or chips, gravy and veg). Plymouth city centre is a 25-minute drive away.
On a budget? Discover these cheap hotels in Plymouth and book now on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.