The Coachella Valley Music And Arts Festival marks the start to the entire festival season and, of course, to summer in golden Southern California. The West Coast’s premier music festival was started in 1999 by Goldenvoice, the same entertainment company that runs it to this day.
This will be its 17th year, although not in a row, as after the first festival it skipped a year in 2000. Interestingly, this is because the festival was initially not profitable in its first few runs. Tickets were ridiculously cheap in comparison to how much they cost now, selling single-day tickets (which aren’t even available anymore) for only $50 in the first year, as opposed to nowadays when it costs $400 for a three-day pass. Whereas the tickets were cheap, the acts were still very high quality. The first year featured punk rock act Rage Against The Machine and Beck as headliners. The amount of extremely famous acts that the organizers were intent on booking was actually one of the reasons why they couldn’t manage to put it on in 2000, since the costs were so high.
Nevertheless, Coachella has also always focused on music, artists, and genres that don’t get as much attention or have as much pull in the popular media and on the radio. It is a haven for up-and-coming indie artists and a badge of honor for these artists to play a festival so focused on maintaining the integrity of its musical exploration. Of course, once these artists are featured at such a prestigious event, it is generally accepted that they’re likely to hit the big time, so many say it has been the highlight of their careers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The festival is also well respected for consistently highlighting the great majority of their artists from the electronic dance genre. This was the case from the beginning of the show and has only become more true today with lineups that are heavily inclusive of dance music categories. Coachella’s veterans The Chemical Brothers, who played Coachella’s third-ever run, are now one of the most well-known acts in the business. Fat Boy Slim also played the second festival and again killed it for fans in 2014. It’s proven time and time again that this festival inspires a particularly loyal fan base of artists, audiences, and even celebrities, which is why modern brands are so keen to connect themselves with the event in an effort to market to these active and powerful groups.
But Coachella didn’t always enjoy this rampant success. In fact, the year it debuted was marred with the controversies of the ’99 riots at Woodstock, which at the time was one of the most prolific festivals in history. The riots were so bad that the media attacked the idea of another music festival, claiming they caused dangerous violence and destruction. However, the inception of this festival was supposed to be different in that it would provide modern comforts and luxuries even though it would take place in the middle of nowhere.
The idea for a new music festival was originally conceived by Goldenvoice promoter, Paul Tollett. He originally booked the Empire Polo Grounds for a Pearl Jam concert because the group had refused to play in L.A. where Ticketmaster surcharges were high. The venue was so great for large events, even though it was quite a distance from any major city, that he had the idea to create a festival there unlike any other. This is the origin of descending into the desert into a space that is unaffected and uninterrupted by busy city life. Not only has this become a journey into nature, but also the philosophy of the entire event that festival-goers take with them when they leave. Many say the fountain of youth is hidden deep within Coachella Valley.
2016 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival: April 15-17, 2016 and April 22-24, 2016
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.