Birmingham is one of the most visited cities in the UK and with good reason too. Whether you’re a chocolate lover, fascinated by history or looking for a family day out, here are 10 of the best things you could possibly see or do while in the city.
Go to Cadbury World
Bournville is home to the wonderfully historic Cadbury factory and its visitor attraction Cadbury World. On a factory tour you get to discover the roots of Cadbury’s Chocolate, the heritage of Bournville village, the Cadbury family and you can even taste chocolate as you go around. It’s about as close as you’re going to get to Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory, so lap it up!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Walk along the city centre canals
Birmingham has more miles of canal than Venice and is fortunate enough to be at the heart of the country’s canal network, making for some picturesque walks in the sun. Head towards Brindleyplace for the best of the city centre route, where you’ll find pub pit stops aplenty.
Visit the Birmingham Back to Backs
Nestled away just off Hurst Street is the Birmingham Back to Backs, a wonderfully preserved courtyard of back to back houses – the only remaining in the city. On a tour, you’ll be led through the houses and learn how people lived in these houses from as early as the 1840s, right through to the 1970s. Don’t forget to visit the 1930s sweet shop!
Check out the city skyline from the Library
Proudly the largest regional library in Europe, the Library of Birmingham boasts beautiful views of the city’s skyline from its ‘secret’ garden. Head up the escalator on a sunny day and admire the UK’s second largest city, from its historical buildings right through to its contemporary architecture and works-in-progress.
Stroll around one of the city’s many parks
With more trees than Paris, Birmingham is doing something right. There are plentiful green spaces in the city, from the wonderfully picturesque Sutton Park in the north of the city to Cannon Hill Park in the south, which is flanked by the Edgbaston Cricket Ground.
Visit Aston Hall
Aston Hall is a beautiful Grade I listed Jacobean mansion, situated opposite Aston Villa’s football stadium, Villa Park. With an illustrious past which dates back to the 17th century, take a guided tour and discover the history and heritage of the proud house, which was once home to Sir Thomas Holts and James Watt Jr., the son of the world-renowned industrial engineer.
Go to a sporting event
Speaking of Villa Park, why not check out a football match there? Okay, so the state of football in Birmingham on the whole may not be the best at the minute, but with several teams in the vicinity like Birmingham City, West Bromwich Albion and Walsall, it’s well worth checking out a match on a weekend.
Most visitors to Birmingham are instantly drawn to the Bullring, but the city is full of incredible independent shops just waiting for you to check out. Take Great Western Arcade for example, this stunning corridor is full of independent outlets with anything from clothes and hats, to key cutting and shoes on offer. Don’t forget to pick up an Independent Birmingham card to support local independent businesses and to take advantage of discounts.
Brum is a foodie paradise, there’s no doubt about it. With more Michelin stars than any UK city outside of London, it’s safe to say that food is taken seriously here.
Go to Snobs
You can’t come to Birmingham without visiting the holy grail of clubs that is Snobs. Okay, so they might have reluctantly moved from their famous original location to Smallbrook Queensway a few years back, but the same Snobs ethos is there – banging indie tunes. Gone are the sticky floors but the wall of faces still remains.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.