Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and with such wonderful bakeries and delis in Devon to choose from, you’d be a fool to skip brekkie on your way to a day of adventure. You’re going to be spoilt for choice, so we’ve taken the hard work out of your morning routine during your visit to Devon. Here are eight of the best breakfast locations.
Jacka could be one of the finest places in the world, and it’s definitely one of the finest places in Plymouth, especially if you like bread and pastries straight out of the oven. The folk at Jacka are super friendly and know a thing or two about making croissants, cinnamon swirls, bear claws and various types of sourdough. Jacka is also the oldest commercially working bakery in the whole of the country, so it’s got a long line of deliciousness in its bones. The ‘on toast’ options for breakfast are outstanding – but be sure to get there early as there are limited spaces to sit.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Turtley Corn Mill
A pub in the middle of a rather fabulous garden on the way to Totnes, Turtley Corn Mill is a wonderful place for some al fresco brunch dining in the Devonshire sunshine. The menu is good and has everything you can expect from a breakfast and brunch menu, and everything tastes absolutely fantastic.
Just around the corner from Jacka Bakery is Monty’s, a lovely little cafe set back from Plymouth Barbican, it serves up a pretty astounding breakfast and brunch. Its specials board usually offers something fantastic, such as a bacon and chorizo hash which soaks up a hangover like nobody’s business. However, at Monty’s, it’s all about the homemade fish finger sandwich, which is, quite frankly, out of this world.
This 20-at-a-squish café in Appledore is as successful as it is cute, and it’s so popular that both tourists and locals will happily budge up to make space for more people to eat the amazing food which comes out of this tiny kitchen at the Coffee Cabin. Breakfast is sublime and will fill you up for the rest of the day, although its recommended that you save some room for coffee and cake come afternoon.
There’s breakfast, and then there is breakfast from Mangetout. Take up a seat out the front to watch Totnes wander by, take over the small interior, or better yet, find a seat in shaded courtyard out back. Their smoothies are incredible, as is the smashed avocado on sourdough, with a poached egg on top and a side of bacon.
Nelly May’s Parlour
This traditional tearoom in Ilfracombe looks like something your granny would dawdle to on a Tuesday afternoon to meet her friends and discuss their cats. It serves up a mighty and wholesome breakfast sourced from local produce. Eggs royale is highly recommended, as is anything on toast; their sourdough is delish.
The canteen at Forest Fungi is a contemporary affair and also pumps out the freshest of ingredients from just outside the door. The ingredients are seasonal, and meals are often filled with mushrooms which have been grown on the farm. The breakfast menu has everything you can ever expect, but be sure to order a coffee too – it is exceptional.
Cafe Alf Resco
Everything at Alf’s is fresh and local, with warm pastries being delivered from just up the road, and the meat, eggs and veggies in the cooked breakfast all being from Devon. Alf Resco’s is chilled, super friendly and right in the heart of the Dartmouth atmosphere.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.