Ukraine’s third-largest city, Odessa is famed for its incredible entertainment spots and 19th-century architecture, plus it’s one of the gateways to the Black Sea. Explore everything from a vibrant clubbing scene to historical sites – including Privoz Market, one of the oldest and largest markets in Europe, and the architecturally staggering Potemkin Stairs. To discover all Odessa has to offer, check into one of these conveniently located hotels.
UNO Design Hotel was the trailblazer for design hotels in Odessa – an incredible renovation project led by Italian designer Nunzio Da Via set the standard here. His choice of furnishings includes metropolitan features such as marble sideboards, glass lamps and crystal tables, which act as a cheeky nod to the architecture found in the city’s National Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre. Treat yourself to an intimate, sophisticated room with sublime views over the shimmering water. This is truly a pearl by the Black Sea.
Located near the seafront and yet still in the centre of Odessa, the Continental Business Hotel has been a stalwart accommodation option for decades. Top hospitality, customer service and a warm welcome are all part of the experience here. There are 55 rooms spread across two buildings and all have classical interiors. For a spot of post-travel pampering, head to the VIP Spa. Amenities include treatment rooms, a Russian bath, a hammam and a jacuzzi – one of the massages even makes use of local honey.
An architectural masterpiece designed by Franz Frapolli, this hotel is on Deribasovskaya Street, the central pedestrian thoroughfare in Odessa. The secure complex contains a variety of room choices, including an exclusive luxury apartment in the courtyard. Seafood enthusiasts will drool over the restaurant menu – try the crab and lobster dishes for a true culinary taste of the Ukrainian Black Sea. You won’t have time to get bored here – the Frapolli Hotel’s sauna is open 24 hours a day.
With dreamy views and a stylish ambience, the Portofino Hotel Beach Resort lends itself to romance – couples will love the private luxury suites and the chance to dine on the Belle Vue terrace. The hotel is equally suitable for those who want to swim, party in the vibrant Arcadia neighbourhood and still find enough time to sleep. There is an outdoor swimming pool and direct beach access. For those travelling with children, there is a well-equipped playground and a babysitting service.
The five-star Bristol is a must-see in Odessa – in addition to offering exceptional accommodation, it’s an outstanding architectural monument of the late 19th century. It’s located opposite the Odessa Philharmonic Theatre, just a few minutes walk from Deribasovskaya Street, the main street in town. It also has an excellent restaurant of the same name, a spacious lobby, a summer terrace and a banquet hall.
The Hotel de Paris is a homely abode that manages to perfect a concoction of French allure and the Black Sea spirit in Ukraine’s coolest coastal city. Le Bar serves tea, coffee and delicious cake by day. By night, watch it transform into a social hub for the fashionable elite, where guests sip a cocktail or a craft beer as they mingle and listen to live music. Flowers adorn the pretty indoor courtyard, which is a fine place to chill or read and watch the world go by.
Frederic Koklen is one of the oldest hotels in Odessa. The four-storey building was constructed in 1852 for one of the city’s most illustrious families, the Koklens. During its long history, the hotel has seen many famous musicians, architects and writers pass through its doors. Situated near the Potemkin Stairs – a great architectural monument in Odessa – the hotel is ideal for sightseeing. Each room is unique in its design, and some even boast chandeliers. The hotel has car and bike rental services so you can explore the city and its surroundings easily.
For business travellers, Gagarinn scores top marks – it’s focused on corporate hospitality, with nine on-site meeting rooms plus translation services available. While perfect for business visits, it also lends itself to leisure trips with a prime location in the Arcadia neighbourhood. This is one of the most exciting areas of the city, and within walking distance to the Odessa beaches – as well as numerous cafes, restaurants and nightclubs. The rooms have a fresh and modern feel, while the on-site restaurant offers a range of cuisine, from Ukranian to Asian.
Nemo Hotel Resort & Spa is a top spot for those who love all things water. The fun never ends here for both adults and kids alike – it has nine swimming pools with heated seawater, seven whirlpool tubs and a unique dolphin-shaped pool. The spa also has a seemingly endless selection of services, from a spa capsule to a Roman bath, a hammam and a Charcot shower. If that all gets too much, find some relaxation at Lanzheron Beach, which is right on the doorstep.
The M1 Club Hotel sits by the sea and is fit for all kinds of travellers. Each room comes with a terrace offering unbeatable panoramic views over the city, the park or the sea. The hotel has four bars in different locations, each catering for varying niches – one for fine wine, one for fine dining, one serving up a beachside ambience and the other the creamiest cappuccinos. If you’re looking for a top place to watch the sunrise over the Black Sea, then this is the place to be.
If it’s beach vibes, live music and pure relaxation you crave, Odesskiy Dvorik (which translates as Odessa Courtyard) is the hotel for you. Live musicians entertain guests in Jazi Bazi, the jazz restaurant on the summer terrace. The swanky venue overlooks Shevchenko Park, while the golden sands of Lanzheron Beach are a mere five-minute walk away. It’s also a short stroll to the Theatre of Musical Comedy and Vorontsov Palace. With 54 bright and spacious rooms, Odesskiy Dvorik is a paradise on the edge of the Black Sea.
Sensational sea-views, sumptuous seafood dishes and a soothing spa all ensure that you will enjoy your stay at the Panorama De Luxe. Swimmers and sunbathers will love the leisure facilities – including an indoor and an outdoor pool, Finnish baths, a Turkish sauna and a fitness centre. For eco-conscious guests, the ultra-modern hotel has an electric charging station for cars. Dishes from the restaurant can be delivered to the comfort of your room, including local Odessan food as well as Mediterranean and continental options.
Maria Sibirtseva contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.