The city of Lviv has been a cultural, literary, and historical jewel of Ukraine for many centuries. Today, it enters the new stage of development, aiming to impress even the most sceptic connoisseur of beauty. So check out the striking diversity of unique and outstanding art lover’s venues.
Museum of Ethnography and Art Crafts
The only Museum of Ethnography and Art Crafts in Ukraine is definitely worth exploring when in Lviv. Monuments of local folk art, samples of decorative and applied art of different peoples of the world constitute the rich collection of 90,000 exhibits. Thus, space is divided into two departments: ethnographic and art crafts. In addition, the museum has an incredible exposition of the 15th-20th century-old watches.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Insider Tip: The admission fee is just UAH$10 (US$0.30), so don’t hesitate totake in the beautiful arts.
Svobody ave., 15, Lviv, Ukraine, +380 322 270 157
The Pharmacy Museum in the western capital of Ukraine is one of the most unusual but most visited spots. There are 16 rooms in which you can see old pharmacy equipment such as old scales, grass cutters, medieval herbariums as well as stone mortars for ointments preparation. Surprisingly, the pharmacy was opened in 1735 and is still operating. Here you can buy the world-famous Iron wine (Zalizne wyno in Ukrainian), useful in case of anaemia disease.
Insider Tip: The museum has two names, also known as Under the black eagle.
Lychakiv Cemetery is not only a burial place of prominent people but also an open-air museum, namely, a State History and Culture Museum-Preserve. Its history started in 1786 and the largest numbers of burials occurred in the second half of the 19th century. Lychakiv Cemetery numbers more than 3,000 tombstones; you can spot the graves of figures in history every Ukrainian knows, like brilliant writer Ivan Franko, world renowned opera diva Solomiya Krushelnytska, and many others.
Insider Tip: You can stroll the cemetery on your own, after buying a ticket, but the museum also offers guided tours both during the day and at nighttime.
Mechnykova St, 33, L’viv, Lviv Oblast, Ukraine, +380 322 755 415
House of Legends
The extraordinary food venue House of Legends is a destination for an artsy atmosphere in ancient Lviv. The seven-storey building has a shop, restaurant, and huge terrace on the top, where you can watch the sunset and enjoy the breathtaking panorama on the city rooftops.
Insider Tip: Each floor and dish on the menu has its own legend. So, before ordering, ask your waiter to explain the ingredients.
Dzyga is a cultural and art centre. It was founded in 1993 as a result of the association of the community called Student Brotherhood of Lviv (1989 – 1993). Its purpose was to satisfy and protect the legitimate rights and interests of the members of the organization as well as rights of students and youth in general. In Dzyga you can discover the masterpieces of local artists and enjoy a good snack with a cup of coffee or tea.
Lviv Art Gallery
Lviv Art Gallery is a part of a museum complex that features the Ukrainian and foreign works, including paintings, sculpture, and more. Twenty-four rooms of the building feature European art of the 19th and 20th centuries. Thus, the cultural complex of the museum has many other branches in Lviv and Lviv region. The most famous is one of the best attractions in the city Potocki Place and a splendid Pidhirtsi Castle on the outskirts.
Mykoly Kopernyka St, 15, Lviv, Lviv Oblast, Ukraine, +380 322 614 145
Contemporary Sacred Art Gallery Iconart
In contrast to other galleries that represent the diversity of art pieces, Contemporary Sacred Art Gallery Iconart specialises in religious painting of well-known Lviv artists. It is a place to explore the synergy of contemporary art and Christian spirituality and the new turn in the development of the Ukrainian sacred art.
Insider Tip: Except for permanent collection, there’re also temporary thematic exhibitions.
The “undergrounds” of Lviv Theatre of Opera and Ballet hide a quirky Left Bank restaurant. It is the only venue in the city, located on the bank of the river under the city. A varied selection of drinks and dishes perfectly fit the cosy interior and pleasant sound of flowing river nearby. Besides concerts and live music, creative meetings and exhibitions of contemporary art are constantly held here. Do not forget to book a table in advance and check the schedule of events.
Svobody ave., 28, Lviv, Ukraine, +380 50 430 53 85
A post shared by Лівий Берег/Operaunderground (@operaunderground) on Feb 12, 2018 at 1:39am PST
Salo Art Museum
Salo Art Museum is a restaurant that specializes in the most popular traditional Ukrainian dish salo (pork fat). The interior is decorated with a variety of sculptures as well as with paintings, photographs, and other art objects all made from pork fat. The major exhibit is a statue of a human heart from pork fat, which you can see at the entrance to the venue. Salo Art Museum stays open until the last customer is done, so you can stay as long as you want and taste the most common ways to eat salo in Ukraine.
Svobody ave., 6/8, Lviv, Ukraine, +380 322 355 536
A post shared by Алина Матвеева (@s_o_v_y_s_h_k_a) on Jul 20, 2017 at 11:57am PDT
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.