Planning a shopping spree on your next trip to the Netherlands? Make sure to stop by Utrecht and check out the city’s fantastic vintage fashion scene. This beautiful, Medieval town is only a short train journey away from Amsterdam and contains an impressive number of secondhand and retro clothing stores.
The team behind Notorious Clothing collects and modifies retro womenswear. The store focuses on 20th-century fashion and sells brand new clothing that is inspired by classic styles. Hundreds of unique items can be found in Notorious Clothing’s central showroom and its staff will happily adjust clothing in order to suit specific body types.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
📍 Notorious Clothing, Voorstraat 41, Utrecht + 31 030 737 0483
Vintage-United is an online platform based in Utrecht that stocks preloved luxury designer labels. The store sells apparel and accessories from leading international brands such as Chanel, Louis Vuitton and Jimmy Choo at seriously reduced prices. Vintage-United also buys clothes, in case you’re looking to offload, and will help clear up customers’ crowded wardrobes. Vintage-United’s stylists can be reached by appointment and on November 26th, 2016, they will be making an appearance at the Designer Vintage Sale Event at Amsterdam’s Amstel Hotel.
📍 Vintage United, Vechtoever 45, Utrecht +31 2630840
Het Kaufhaus deliberately keeps its collection small and carefully curates its wardrobes. Nonetheless, its stock is always affordable and invariably on trend. The store actually donates large parts of its profit to charity and buys its clothes from ethical sources. The team recently set up a style blog and will gladly share fashion tips in person.
De ARM Kleding
De ARM is a non-profit organisation that sells secondhand clothing, furniture, bikes and antiques, in order to raise funds for charitable enterprises. The store on Oudegracht is huge and contains an enormous basement that stocks a plethora of vintage clothing. All of De Arm’s collections are donated and the prices are always exceptionally low, making it a paradise for vintage treasure hunters.
📍 De ARM Kleding, Oudegracht 274, Utrecht +31 30 2328410
Sussies has been selling vintage clothing for over a decade. It started off as a small venture that eventually grew into one of the Netherlands’ largest secondhand retailers. Its store in Utrecht is on the northern border of the city’s old town- an area steeped in history. The store’s collection is particularly eclectic and features a massive range of clothing including cowboy boots, Japanese kimonos and classic military gear.
📍 Sussies, Voorstraat 50, Utrecht +31 30 752 2109
Episode has an eye for style and keeps its wardrobes stocked with secondhand items that match current trends in the fashion world. Its collection changes by season and always features particularly cool clothing that wouldn’t look out of place on a fashion blog or a fashionista’s Instagram account. The store is built into the side of Oudegracht canal and is spread over two floors- including a subterranean showroom.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.