With more canals than Venice and 400km (249mi) of cycle paths, sightseeing in Amsterdam will no doubt leave your body aching. Thankfully, there are an abundance of spas in the Dutch capital with top-class massage therapists, jacuzzis and saunas. Unwind at these wellness hotels, so you can wake up the following day, fully revived and ready to further explore the city.
Soho hotels are known globally as exclusive places to see and be seen, and their Amsterdam members’ club is no different. Facing the Singel canal, the hotel features art deco interiors and works that nod to Amsterdam’s old master, Rembrandt. In true Soho House style, the rooftop pool is the best place to hang out overlooking the city skyline. If you want to relax, head to the luxury Cowshed Spa where you can enjoy a range of therapeutic treatments using Cowshed products.
Spanning six 17th- and 18th-century palaces, this historic hotel faces Amsterdam’s Herengracht canal and has one of the best spas around. Prepare to be pampered at the award-winning Guerlain Spa, where every treatment is fully tailored to you, beginning with a skin analysis and diagnosis. Spa guests with treatments over 90 minutes can enjoy entry to the tranquil pool area with its sauna, steam room, and fitness facilities.
This historic hotel has lived many lives, from its origins in the early 15th century as a convent, to becoming city hall in the 17th century. These days, it is known for its luxury five-star service and amenities. After a day of shopping and sightseeing, the Sofitel spa and fitness centre is the ideal place to relax and recharge your batteries, with treatments ranging from their four-hand massage to a deluxe anti-aging facial, using the Japanese Kobido technique.
Located on the banks of Amsterdam’s Prinsengracht canal, an area steeped in history, this five-star hotel features over 100 guest rooms and suites fitted with luxurious furnishings and unique artworks. Every space inside the hotel is meticulously designed, creating a sense of comfort and exclusivity that’s almost unmatched in Amsterdam. If you’re searching for extra rest and relaxation, spend some well-earned downtime inside the hotel’s spa, which offers Elemis massages and facials, including a skin re-energiser for men. Gym buffs will appreciate the 24-hour fitness centre.
Situated inside a monumental building that once belonged to the city’s local government, Pestana Amsterdam Riverside provides luxurious, modern rooms in a traditional setting. Make the most of the exclusive spa facilities, including an indoor swimming pool, Turkish bath and saunas. Though it may seem slightly further afield than more central hotels, Pestana is close to the Hermitage Museum and the many culinary hotspots found in the De Pijp neighbourhood.
This five-star hotel stands inside a former office block that’s considered the first, true example of Amsterdamse School architecture – a Dutch design movement from the early 20th century. There are 205 luxury guest bedrooms, plus 22 suites available inside the hotel, spread between its many floors and towers. While staying here, you have access to an on-site wellness centre – free of charge. This includes a heated indoor pool with a starlit ceiling, three saunas, a steam cabin and whirlpool – as well as a fitness room fitted with modern gym equipment.
With five stars under its belt, plus a historic location and services to match, the InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam ranks among the most luxurious hotels in Europe. Rooms are spread inside a spectacular, neoclassical building on the western banks of the Amstel River, which could easily be mistaken for a palace, due to its stately architecture. Here, you’ll have access to a health and fitness club, with a heated pool, saunas, a steam room, plunge pool and horizontal showers. You can also book a deep-tissue massage or reflexology appointment – perfect for sore feet.
Set inside a neo-gothic building that once served as a music conservatory, this five-star establishment has received many awards over the years. The Conservatorium Hotel stands midway between Amsterdam’s Museumplein and Vondelpark in an area that’s renowned for its splendid architecture. Due to its grand facade, towering turrets and high, curved windows, the hotel matches perfectly with its surroundings. Inside, you’ll find an expansive spa, Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre, which is equipped with a swimming pool, massage rooms and a state-of-the-art gym. Spend time relaxing or create tailor-made courses with Akasha’s team of personal trainers, who are on-hand to guide you through workout or yoga sessions.
It is difficult to miss Hotel Okura, considering that it ranks among the tallest buildings in Amsterdam, towering above the city’s De Pijp neighbourhood. As a result, most rooms and suites inside the Okura offer sweeping views across Amsterdam. Besides its high-end lodgings, two Michelin-starred restaurants and a sky-high cocktail bar, Hotel Okura also features a large spa and wellness centre on its third floor. This peaceful sanctuary contains a serene indoor pool for early morning laps, as well as a sauna, Jacuzzi and gym – plus a spa offering Japanese Shiatsu massage.
W Amsterdam is one of the few hotels in the city with an open-air rooftop pool. While this feature is already impressive, it is worth mentioning that the pool in question runs alongside Dam Square and looks directly onto the city’s Royal Palace. At W Amsterdam, you can also workout in the fully equipped gym with weights, treadmills and exercise bikes, as well as pamper yourself in the underground wellness centre, which is spread over seven treatment rooms. The hotel is among the most exclusive establishments of its kind in the Netherlands and boasts over 200 guest rooms, perfect for travellers who want to indulge during their time in Amsterdam.
Sarah Gibbons contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.