If you’re planning to visit Haarlem on your next trip to the Netherlands, make sure to read up on the city’s booming culinary culture. Its proximity to the sea, and Noord-Holland‘s fertile farmlands, means that food in Haarlem is unbelievably fresh and delicious. To help you on your way, we’ve compiled a list of Haarlem’s best restaurants.
This delightfully urbane bistro has honed its menu to perfection and uses modest, simple ingredients to create outstanding meals that are inspired by French cuisine. Its signature dishes are based on refined, provincial recipes that flawlessly balance a range of delicate flavors. Its inviting dining room is extremely romantic and looks onto the restaurant’s open kitchen. Toujours’ wine card is amazing. They stock bottles from several French regions.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
📍 Restaurant Toujours, Oude Groenmarkt 10, Amsterdam +31 23 532 1699
Specktakel’s kitchen has gathered an extensive selection of cross-continental delicacies that includes dishes from South Africa, Tuscany, China, France and Indonesia. This mouthwatering pastiche is infused with exotic, as well as familiar, flavors that form a delicious, finely tuned menu. Specktakel’s owners are keen wine collectors and serve an outstanding range of bottles from new and old world producers.
📍 Specktakel, Spekstraat 4, Haarlem +31 23 532 3841
El Pincho is a tapas restaurant that adds some spicy South American flavors to one of Spain’s most famous exports. Its menu is divided into three sections that contain seafood, meat or vegetarian dishes, and El Pincho encourages its guests to share small platters among a group of friends. The restaurant also has a solid cocktail menu and can whip up a batch of fresh margaritas in a matter of minutes.
📍 El Pincho, Riviervismarkt 17-19, Haarlem +31 23 553 0288
Wilma & Albert’s Steakhouse
Wilma & Albert’s Steakhouse brings a slice of Americana to Haarlem’s colorful city center. All of the meat is cooked on flaming hot charcoal grills and packed with smokey, BBQ flavours. Wilma & Albert’s have been flipping burgers and searing steaks since 1971 and the restaurant is among Haarlem’s oldest eateries. Classics like surf and turf, sirloin steaks and lamb chops are all available, alongside several specialties that draw from Dutch cuisine.
📍Wilma & Alber’s Steakhouse, Oude Groenmarkt 6, Haarlem +31 23 532 1256
Metzo’s menu offers modern takes on Mediterranean classics. The restaurant is spread over three spacious levels that overlook a narrow alley in Haarlem’s historic center. Its interior is modern, elegant and welcoming and Metzo’s service staff are exceptionally friendly. Dinner at Metzo revolves around locally sourced meat, fish and vegetables, and its kitchen regularly buys game birds from hunters based in Haarlem.
📍 Metzo, Warmoesstraat 21, Haarlem +31 23 532 2398
De Lachende Javaan
De Lachende Javaan doubles up as a cultural space dedicated to Southeast Asian artwork. The restaurant contains several colossal statues that have been imported from Java, and its menu reflects its devotion to the island’s history. The kitchen cooks up a variety of traditional Javanese meals including numerous Gado Gado salads that are equally appealing to carnivores or vegetarians. Spicy saté is also on the menu and can be eaten with chicken, lamb or prawn kebabs.
📍 De Lachende Javaan, Frankestraat 27, Haarlem +31 23 532 8792
The Jopenkerk is parts of Haarlem’s Jopen brewery and uses the company’s signature blond beer in several of its dishes. The head chef prepares a weekly stew that is laced with this delicious lager and served up with generous portions of fried potatoes. The menu also contains freshly caught fish and an enormous French steak. After dinner guests can head over to Jopen’s grand café and sample amazing beers straight from the barrel.
📍 Restaurant Jopenkerk, Gedempte Voldersgracht 2, Haarlem +31 23 533 4114
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.