Amsterdam‘s Oud-West district lies just beyond the city’s historic canal belt and runs southwards alongside Vondelpark. Like other central neighbourhoods in Amsterdam, Oud-West has more than its fair share of bars, including the following noteworthy watering-holes, which range from down-to-earth craft beer pubs to more energetic hotspots with live music and games.
In 1999, a group of local artists squatted a building on Overtoom and founded OT301. Their plan was to create a cross-disciplinary cultural platform in the heart of the Oud-West and use their new home as an incubator for experimental art, film and music. Today, OT301 remains an active part of Amsterdam’s art scene and houses several cultural initiatives. Its main bar is attached to a large concert hall that hosts several events throughout the week, including gigs, festivals and weekly ping pong nights.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Aside from excellent brunch and dinner, which mainly centre around premium cuts of meat or locally-sourced fish, Café Panache also offers an extensive cocktail menu that includes many long drinks that are available by the pitcher. The cafe serves its selection inside a renovated warehouse that was once used by merchants from Ten Kate Market. This classy, almost industrial, location matches perfectly with Café Panache’s welcoming vibe and features many dimly-lit spots that are perfect for drinks with friends. The cafe also has a long terrace near its entrance that catches a lot of sun during the warmer months of the year.
Although it sounds hyperbolic, it is possible that Waterkant has the best terrace in Amsterdam. Its awesome outdoor seating area curls around Singel canal and looks like it was lifted straight from a music festival, due to its twinkling multicoloured lights and wooden picnic benches. Unsurprisingly, the bar attracts a lot of footfall during sunny spells and customers tend to head straight for its terrace. Thankfully, there’s plenty of space inside and outside at Waterkant and an impressive selection of drinks is available at the bar, ranging from pitchers of beer to fresh mint tea.
PARCK aka Ping Pong Bar
As its name suggests, this lively bar on Overtoom features several ping pong tables and encourages guests to grab a paddle and play off against each other. Aside from providing space for friendly ping pong matches, PARCK also offers an impressive range of cocktails, liquor and beer (mainly from local breweries) alongside what it calls ‘Animal Style Food’ – which essentially consists of platters of traditional Dutch bar snacks, including several varieties of bitterballen filled with meat, veggies or cheese. The bar welcomes groups and takes reservations for parties or other social get-togethers.
Bar Centraal stands amid the hustle and bustle of Ten Kate Market and looks almost directly onto Oud-West’s largest cultural hotspot, de Hallen, a multi-purpose hub housed inside an old tram depot with a cinema and a food court. The bar stocks a generous selection of organic wines from around the world and serves small tapas-style meals that are ideal for sharing among friends. The bar has two spacious rooms furnished in dark woods and a sunny terrace that runs alongside Bellamystraat with several rows of tables and chairs.
Craft & Draft
This charming brewpub on the southern side of Overtoom keeps 40 different craft beers on draft and around 100 more bottled brewskis behind its bar. As Craft & Draft imports its stocks from all over the world, it always has an impressive selection of international brews on tap, ranging from American pale ales to classic Trappist triples. There’s plenty of space for groups, couples and solo drinkers inside Craft & Draft’s down-to-earth taproom and more seating available outside on the pub’s covered terrace. What’s more, Craft & Draft offers takeout service and lets customers purchase litres of beer to-go in special jugs called growlers.
Gollem has several locations in Amsterdam, each of which stocks an impressive variety of craft beer mainly from the Benelux region. Many of these tasty craft brews are presented in special glasses that are specifically designed to draw out their flavours and add another layer to the whole beer-drinking experience. Gollem’s bar on Overtoom is the largest in the city and serves hot meals from lunchtime until late at night, including several dishes that are cooked with beer. Gollem also hosts events throughout the week, such as pub quizzes and live jazz concerts.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.