Amsterdam‘s startup scene is booming. The city’s flexible tax system and forward thinking approach to technology encourages innovation while giving smaller companies the chance to expand. Moreover, Dutch enterprises are generally driven by the international market and are eager to adapt their products in order to meet global demands.
Simply put, FlatTire fixes bikes. The company employs a large team of mechanics who will brave wind and rain to reach a stranded cyclist; something extremely useful as Amsterdam and cycling go hand-in-hand. Their team recently put together a simple app to speed along this process that allows FlatTire to immediately locate a broken bike and then dispatch an experienced technician to deal with the problem. Although FlatTire is rapidly expanding, their services are currently only available inside Amsterdam.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This handy site enables users to borrow tools and household items from their neighbours. After signing up to Peerby, users can search their neighbourhood for objects and quickly hire them from other locals on a one-use basis. There’s hundreds of items already available on Peerby and the site is great in hitch.
Ever stared longingly at an outfit that appeared on your Instagram or Twitter feed? Then Fashiolista is the website for you. This community driven startup sifts through thousands of blogs to find the best fashion items currently trending on social media. The site then links these items to their designer’s webshop, allowing Fashiolista’s followers to immediately access said clothing. The startup already has an impressive user base and constantly updates its content, allowing fashion lovers to shop without setting foot outdoors.
Fairphone is a promising startup that has grown exponentially since its launch in 2010. This conscientious hardware company is dedicated to social change and manufactures ethically sourced smartphones. Its supply chain is completely transparent and Fairphone only buys material from reputable factories. Its newest phone comes with two simcard slots, allowing users to easily divide their work and personal lives.
Over the past few years, WeTransfer has grown into a world-leading, cloud-based company. Its amazingly accessible website allows users to freely transfer large files quickly across the internet. This simple yet indispensable website has already attracted over 20 million users and is fast becoming an essential part of every internet user’s vocabulary.
StudyTube’s website and app provides cloud-based learning to thousands of students across the Netherlands. The site gives lecturers and teachers control over a specific, tailor-made curriculum that can then be accessed remotely by students. There are already hundreds of courses online that StudyTube is constantly expanding its content.
Travelbird is an online platform that finds package holidays for travellers. Its website is incredibly easy to access and immediately shows the best deals available during a given day. TravelBird also offers expert advice to its customers and its services have already been used by over four million people.
This productivity app markets itself as the ‘superpower of remembering’ and tracks users’ routines in order to remind them of important tasks. These notifications are sent when a user walks past a specific location that has been preprogrammed into MarkO‘s schedule. This means that users can stack tasks according to place rather than time and create a natural agenda that follows their daily movements.
Songflow is a music distribution service that allows independent artists to sell and promote their work. The app connects to most major music platforms, including Spotify, Youtube and Soundcloud, and its website provides invaluable insights into current trends. Songflow works under a fair policy and its users always receive royalties.
Fitmo is a fitness app that connects users to personal trainers. After filling out their profile, users can decide on their goals and then pick a suitable coach. These personal trainers are on hand to help keep users motivated and will create achievable fitness routines that can be easily modified. Fitmo is compatible with several wearable devices including Fitbit and Apple Watch.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.