You probably weren’t expecting to find Surinamese food in Amsterdam – it’s a legacy of Dutch colonial times – but this relatively unknown Caribbean cuisine is well worth exploring.
The Surinamese kitchen was influenced by the native Amerindians and the cuisines of those who arrived in this South American country from all over the world including the Dutch, Portuguese, Indian, African, Javanese and Chinese, among others. Blending the bland with the spicy an using indigenous fruit and vegetables created a unique melting pot cuisine – one you should certainly seek out when visiting Amsterdam.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Like many locals with Surinamese family background, the three sisters Martha, Aretha and Moreen Waal were born in Amsterdam to Surinamese parents who came here looking for work in the 1960s. “We were raised by our sweet Surinamese mother, who (along with our grandmother, aunts and great-aunts) passed along a love of the Surinamese kitchen to us,” says Martha Waal, co-author of two Surinamese cookbooks.
Five must-try Surinamese foods
One of the best ways to get to know Surinamese cuisine is to try some of its best-loved dishes. “The people from Suriname came from everywhere, and food is what brought them together. This is a country where you can see all the influences next to each other on the plate,” explains Martha. Wholemeal flatbreads roti came from India. Pom, a festive tayer root dish, came from Portuguese-Jewish plantation owners after the Portuguese potato-based dish, pomme de terre. “If I had to recommend five things you absolutely must try to understand Surinamese food, I’d say roti and pom, of course, and also broodje bakkeljauw (salted cod sandwich), chicken pie and our famous ginger beer,” says Martha.
Authentic Surinamese eateries in Amsterdam
“My mother would always tell me about the healthy Surinamese vegetables,” Martha remembers. “Every dish starts with a little bit of tomato, some onion and a lot of love. Here in Amsterdam, she had to get her vegetables from the Albert Cuyp market and Dappermarkt, but back in Suriname she always said that her garden was her fridge; she could just walk into it and pick what she needed for dinner. Like my mom, I like to cook myself, but when I’m out at the Dappermarkt in Oost, I like to go to the authentic Javanese-Surinamese eatery Warung Sranang Makmur and Surinamese-Asian restaurant Lalla Rookh. For roti, we like Roopram Roti, where there are often long lines outside.”
A few other favourites tipped by the Waal sisters include Bean There in Diemen-Zuid, Padjak de Smeltkroes 2.0 in Zuid-Oost and Kam Yin, which is great with kids. “I’d also like to tell people to go explore the Bijlmermeer because there are markets with all kinds of Surinamese vegetables and tasty Surinamese restaurants like you can’t imagine,” says Martha.
Experience the sisters’ Suriname
“After our mother passed, we wanted to find a way to cherish the stories she told us about Suriname, and to pass on recipes from this beautiful, varied cuisine to the next generation, so it’s not lost,” says Martha. “This led to the creation of our two SuriMAM cookbooks, named for our initials but also the Dutch word for mother”.
The sisters have followed up the success of their cookbooks (currently available in Dutch only), with Surinamese cooking workshops and catered boat events that combine Surinamese cooking and live soul music with a boat tour along the Amstel and IJ rivers.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.