Much like other major cities in the Netherlands, Rotterdam features many organisations, hangouts and stores that cater to LGBTQ individuals and communities. Read on to discover highlights from the city’s LGBTQ scene.
Social and leisure
Gay Sauna Finland
Rotterdam’s only gay sauna has been in business since the early 1980s and is located on northern side of the city’s Charlois district. The establishment features several spa facilities including jacuzzis, saunas and private cabins. Although it usually costs €16 to enter Gay Sauna Finland, the sauna offers several discounted packages.
Gay Sauna Finland, Grondherendijk 5-7, Rotterdam, +31 10 223 5895
Rotterdam’s Ketelbinkie is among the largest and most popular LGBT sports clubs in the Netherlands. Ketelbinkie was established in the 1990s as a volleyball club, but has since grown into a multi-associations organisation that caters to eight different sports including football, badminton and swimming.
Ketelbinkie, Frederikdwarsstraat 8, Rotterdam
COC Rotterdam is a LGBTQI advocacy organisation that coordinates several social, educational and support projects in the city. The group organises community gathering throughout the calendar month including events for LGBTQI migrants and trans people in Rotterdam.acti
COC Rotterdam, Schiedamsesingel 173, Rotterdam, +31 10 414 1555
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Bars and Clubs
This popular multi-purpose venue opened in 2014 and features several, interconnected cultural projects including a bar, restaurant, gallery and a bookstore. At the weekend FERRY hosts club nights and keeps its bar open until around 2am.
FERRY, Westblaak 127, Rotterdam, +31 10 750 5324
Café Strano ranks among the oldest running gay clubs in the Netherlands and has been in business for over twenty years. The club continues to attract large crowds throughout the week, due to its famous cocktails, first-rate DJs (with a penchant for classic dance-hits) and welcoming atmosphere.
Café Strano,Van Oldenbarneveltstraat 154, Rotterdam, +31 10 412 5811
This three-storey bar on ‘s-Gravendijkwal regularly hosts discrete, themed parties that cater to specify sexual preferences and features many sensual facilities including an erotic cinema. For more information about the Mood’s diverse roster of club nights and events, make sure to check the bar’s calendar!
Themoodsbar, ‘s-Gravendijkwal 92, Rotterdam, +31 10 225 1725
Bar de Regenboog
Bar de Regenboog (or Bar the Rainbow in English) lies within walking distance from Rotterdam’s Central Station and many other nighttime hangouts in the city’s centre, including Café Strano. The bar’s decked out in some seriously awesome, old-school disco lights and plays an eclectic mix of hits from the 1970s onward. The bar also hosts a popular karaoke night every Wednesday.
Bar de Regenboog, Van oldenbarneveld straat 148A, Rotterdam, +31 6 34569724
This central café keeps beer flowing until 6am every night of the week and continues to receive plenty of clientele throughout the early hours of the morning. The café organises blowout events throughout the year, including massive parties during Pride and Kings Day.
Café Keerweer, Keerweer 14, Rotterdam, +31 10 413 1217
Gay Film Night at LantarenVenter
Every first Tuesday of the month, Rotterdam’s LantarenVenter film theatre organises a movie night dedicated to gay cinema. The event has been running since 2007 and screens a wide variety of movies ranging from cult classics to contemporary blockbusters. LantarenVenter also hosts the Gay & Lesbian Summer Film Festival which takes place between August and September.
LantarenVenter, Otto Reuchlinweg 996, Rotterdam, +31 10 277 2277
Queer & Migrant Film Festival
As its name suggests, this weeklong film festival revolves around movies that deal with issues related to migration and queer identities. The festival mainly takes place in Amsterdam, but also screens movies in other cities in the Netherlands, including Rotterdam. The third edition of Queer & Migrant Film Festival (2018) will begin on December 3 and run until December 13.
Rotterdam’s Pride celebrations take place over an entire week at the end of September. This yearly, city-wide festival always includes a wide range of events that celebrate sexual diversity including street parties, movie screenings, seminars and parades.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.