Walk into van Wonderen Stroopwafels in Central Amsterdam and everything looks traditional. The blue and gold shopfront with big windows opens onto a counter with a large waffle press, and the sweet smells of dough and caramel.
But van Wonderen Stroopwafels offers this classic Dutch treat – made from two pressed pieces of dough, bound together by a caramel filling – with a tasty twist. Its stroopwafels come half-covered with chocolate and sprinkled with sweets, giving it a punchy sugar hit, a pleasing mix of textures and a bright, Instagram-ready look.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Wondrous van Wonderen Stroopwafels
Here, you can customise your stroopwafel with chunky toppings such as cookie crumbles, toffee and marshmallows. Part of the fun comes in the anticipation – waiting behind the counter as your stroopwafel receives a layer of chocolate, followed by colourful toppings.
From the branch at Kalverstraat 190, one of Amsterdam’s main shopping streets, you’re only moments from the canals – the floating flower market is around 100 metres (328 feet) away – and the banks are a popular place to chow down on the snack. The bright toppings contrast vividly with the dark waters and bridges, offering plenty of opportunities to snap your food before you dig in.
The van Wonderen approach has proved highly successful, and there are four branches in Amsterdam (with stores also at Leidsestraat 12, Gasthuismolensteeg 3 and Prinsengracht 455) and one in Utrecht.
The history of the stroopwafel
They may be treats today, but stroopwafels began out of necessity. Around the early 1800s, bakers in the city of Gouda began using surplus syrup to sweeten and bring together scraps and crumbs. The first recipe for the snack comes from 1840, and by 1870, it was sold in over 100 shops and had spread to other cities.
Stroopwafels are now massively popular, with millions of packets sold in the Netherlands every year – the Dutch reportedly eat around 20 stroopwafels each per year. They’re increasingly well known around the world and have featured as one of United Airlines’ in-flight snacks and on an episode of The Great British Bake Off TV series, in which competitors found that making them was not as easy as it looks.
What’s in a stroopwafel?
The waffle dough comprises flour, butter, sugar, milk, eggs and yeast. It’s cooked until crisp in a waffle iron, which gives the wafer its distinctive chequered pattern, before being cut with a cookie cutter. The hot caramel filling (classically made from syrup, sugar, butter and cinnamon) then binds two discs together. The result is firm (with a hint of crunch) on the outside and gooey in the middle. There are also variations using honey (honingwafels) or extra caramel (stroopkoeken).
Most stroopwafels are five to 10 centimetres (two to four inches) in diameter, though some are larger. The current record is a 50-kilogram (111-pound) monster made in 2013. Made in Gouda (of course), it was an impressive 2.47 metres (8.1 feet) in diameter.
How to eat a stroopwafel
You can pick up stroopwafels in supermarkets around the world, but the best are found fresh in markets and bakeries in the Netherlands. Amsterdam has some excellent options.
Traditional waffles are served simply, but you can also buy them with a huge range of toppings, including figs, honey, aniseed, bacon and sea salt – as well as van Wonderen’s assortment of sugary treats.
You’ll sometimes see Dutch people balancing their waffles on cups of coffee or tea – the steam makes them warm and releases the rich scents of caramel and cinnamon.
Once you bite in, etiquette usually goes out the window – find a good spot and dig right in!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.