Looking to invest in some luxury realty? Or set up a home inside a stately Dutch castle? If you have the bank balance to match then look no further than this guide to palatial real estate for sale in the Netherlands. These palatial estates are all currently on the market and eagerly await new well-heeled landowners.
Offer: € 6.900.000
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This ancient castle has defended the western reaches of the Netherlands since the 14th century. Although little is known about its original owners their family crest can still be found on the arches of the castle’s gates. Its keep has been attacked numerous times over its long history and has successfully repelled several invading forces. Kasteel Well’s keep is surrounded by a moat and overlooks an enormous country estate that contains an ornamental garden and rustic orchard. The interior has been immaculately restored and carefully modernized.
Offer: Available on request
This enormous estate is currently owned by the City of Leiden and dates back to the 17th century. Its grounds contain a stately palace that was occupied by the local gentry until 1895 when it passed into the hands of Leiden’s municipality. The castle was then re-purposed as a psychiatric hospital and remained operational for over 100 years. Several parts of the estate are listed as national monuments, including its ancient ice house and a nearby obelisk created by the Dutch sculptor Jan Pieter van Baurscheidt de Oudere. The castle is surrounded by a deep moat and its main living quarters are housed between two massive towers.
Although the main keep of this fortress was destroyed in a flood during the 15th century most of its outer walls managed to withstand this cataclysm and have remained almost completely intact. Historians believe that these fortifications were built by the Count of Baarland in the early 14th century as a personal and communal stronghold. The entire complex is surrounded by a picturesque canal that serves as a moat. This water feature has transformed Slot Baarland’s inner courtyards into a luscious, fertile park that is covered in dense foliage.
The earliest records of Huis Landfort date back to the early 15th century and the estate has been owned by a number of wealthy Dutch aristocrats. Since its construction, Huis Landfort has served two primary functions. Firstly, its high towers and double trench moat were designed to defend against invaders marching across the German border. This rural location also made Huis Landfort an ideal hunting lodge and many lords have visited the castle during game season. The castle is surrounded by natural beauty and its grounds feature several lakes and meadows.
Offer: € 6.690.00
This quaint property was originally used by the lords of Maastricht as a high security prison. These noblemen eventually decided to turn de Burght into a luxurious fortress and gave its deed to a local official. Its single tower is spread over three storeys and is completely encircled by an artificial lake. A small bridge connects de Burght to a large park and its entrance is only a short distance away from Maastricht’s city center. The building is listed as a national monument and although its basement is currently owned by a restaurant, De Burght’s upper floors are available for purchase.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.