There are some downright awesome attractions in Amsterdam that cater to animal lovers including the city’s historic Artis Zoo, a waterborne cat sanctuary and several public farmyards which allow visitors to pet and play with their furry inhabitants. Read on to discover the best places animal-centric sites in Amsterdam.
Amsterdam’s Artis Zoo has cared for a larger number of rare or exotic creatures for well over 100 years and ranks among the oldest zoos in the world. There are dozens of different species living inside the zoo including lions, giraffes and elephants. Aside from its animal menagerie, Artis Zoo also contains the first microscopic zoo in the world –Micropia– which acts as an important hub for microbiological research.
📍 Artis Zoo, Plantage Kerklaan 38-40, Amsterdam +31 900 2784796
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Although it’s mainly meant for kids, it is not uncommon to see adults venture inside this rustic petting zoo in Westerpark. There’re usually several goats, pigs, sheep and cows grazing inside and during springtime Boredeij Westerpark looks after lambs and calves.
📍 Boerderij Westerpark, Overbrakerpad 10, Amsterdam +31 20 682 2193
This floating cat shelter looks after dozens of stray or abandoned kitties and allows many of its residents to roam freely around its deck. The shelter is contained within a modified houseboat that is moored to Singel canal in central Amsterdam and has protected cats for over forty years. Visitors are welcome onboard during the day and de Poezenboot always appreciates donations.
📍 De Poezenboot, Singel 38G, Amsterdam +31 20 625 8794
This organic goat farm lies in the centre of Amsterdamse Bos and welcomes visitors all year round. Although it is a working farm, many sections are open to the public including its stables which usually houses an an entire flock of milk-white baby goats. The goats are usually pretty affectionate and it is possible to pet and feed them.
📍Geitenboerderij Ridammerhoeve, Nieuwe Meerlaan 4, Amstelveen +31 20 645 5034
Besides serving incredible pancakes and other lunchtime staples, this rural restaurant in Amsterdamse Bos also has one of the most beautiful gardens in the entire city partly due to the presence of several deer and peacocks. Both species of animal are accustomed to humans and wander peacefully around Boerderij Meerzicht’s outdoor seating area.
📍 Boerderij Meerzicht, Koenenkade 56, Amsterdam +31 20 679 2744
KattenKabinet preserves an enormous collection of artwork and other items portraying or associated with cats. There’re some real masterpieces inside including work by several world famous figures such as Henri Toulouse-Latrec and Ed van der Elsken. There’re even real-life kitties slinking about inside who are cared for by the museum’s owners.
📍 KattenKabinet, Herengracht 497, Amsterdam +31 20 626 9040
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.