The Swedish affinity for coffee, exemplified by their dedication to the kaffepaus (coffee break), is deeply rooted in the nation’s history and culture. Dating back to the 18th century, coffee became a fashionable beverage among the Swedish elite, with coffeehouses emerging as social hubs for intellectual discussions and gatherings. Over time, the coffee culture permeated all layers of society, becoming a cherished tradition. Today, Swedes continue to embrace their coffee culture with gusto, consuming an average of four cups daily. This penchant for coffee has secured Sweden a spot as the third-highest coffee-consuming nation globally, trailing closely behind their Scandinavian counterparts, Norway and Finland.
Did you know you can now travel with Culture Trip? Book now and join one of our premium small-group tours to discover the world like never before.
Have you even been to Stockholm if you haven’t gorged on one of the oversized cinnamon buns served at Cafe Saturnus? Take in the elegant mosaic floor at this chic French-inspired spot on Eriksbergsgatan, try a delicious baguette or salad, and linger long enough to build up an appetite for the sticky, buttery cinnamon rolls that have made this cafe famous.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This historic cafe, close to the Royal Palace in the heart of Gamla Stan, has exposed brick walls, flickering candles and a pavement terrace perfect for people watching. Tuck into hearty portions of lasagne, traditional skagen sandwiches and salmon pie, or wander down the spiral staircase to glimpse at the atmospheric cellar vault from the 1600s. Stay all day in winter, when the cafe serves mulled wine, saffron buns and hot white chocolate to die for.
Drop Coffee, award-winning coffee roasters, promote Swedish fika culture, which means to make time for friends over coffee and food. The cafe is well-loved for its rich coffee and is a Stockholm icon with over 50,000 Instagram followers. Working remotely? The wifi is reliable, and there are plenty of power sockets.
Kafé 44, operated by non-profit organisations, is a popular choice for music and book lovers; it’s a coffee shop as well as a self-proclaimed “anarchist” book store and music venue. Drop in, and enjoy concerts by Swedish underground bands and singers. This cafe offers budget vegetarian food, with healthy sandwiches as its signature dishes.
Flickorna Helin Voltaire
Not quite a castle but a regal-looking destination, Flickorna Helin Voltaire is a sophisticated choice for coffee. It offers a variety of baked foods if you’re peckish, too. It’s located on the island of Djurgården, close to tourist attractions such as Skansen (the world’s oldest open-air museum) and Gröna Lund (an amusement park).
Färgfabrikens Kafé, located in a former paint factory, is a large, airy cafe that’s a hit with locals. This cafe serves up lunch and brunch, along with numerous baked cookies. The building also doubles up as a contemporary art venue, and you’ll often find many people holding events here.
Johan & Nyström
Johan & Nyström was founded by a group of coffee enthusiasts who wanted to bring their idea of great coffee to Stockholm. They purchase their coffee beans from fair trade agencies and roast them in their own factory. There is loads of choice, but we recommend opting for their Roast of the Week. You can also pick up a bag of your own speciality coffee to brew at home.
Visiting the Nobel Prize Museum or Royal Palace? Enjoy a Swedish coffee and pastry or sandwich from the Chokladkoppen afterwards. This cosy cafe in Gamla Stan is a stone’s throw away from these landmarks and a great place to relax and recharge. Its hot chocolate also comes highly recommended.
Established in 1959, Konditori Ritorno is a longstanding, beloved Stockholm coffee destination. The cafe is located in Vasatan, on the fringe of the city centre, and is decked out with old furniture and huge mirrors – creating a vintage vibe. The cafe favours traditional filtered coffee, so you’ll experience an authentic Swedish taste.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.