Stockholm Pride is a week-long affair that not only hosts the largest Pride Parade in Scandinavia (and one of the best in the world), but it’s also an event that brings the city—and the country—together in a show of unity with the Pride community. Every year the police, government officials, the Swedish Church, and other official organizations give their support to the LGBT by taking part in various events and marching in the parade, and this year Sweden’s Armed Forces are throwing their hat in the ring with a Facebook post that pictures a pair of military boots sporting the colors of the rainbow flag on the shoelaces.
The image, which was posted to coincide with the ongoing Stockholm Pride Week, included the statement: “We are prepared to go as far as necessary. Your right to live how you wish, as you want, and with whom you want is our duty to defend. And we are prepared to give everything to do that.”
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Anders Nemo Stjernström, communication strategist for the Swedish Armed Forces, told The Local, “In part we wanted to show that we clearly take a stand for everyone’s equal worth and rights, that we actively, every day, contribute to ensuring we can continue to live as we wish in a free Sweden.”
Stjirnström went on to say that using the pride flag’s colors and slipping it into a detail on the uniform is something the Armed Forces has tried before and received a very good response to, making it very clear what the Armed Forces means and stands for.
The post has so far received nearly 6,000 reactions and has been shared more than 650 times, while on Twitter the post has received similar attention. While most reactions have been positive, not all have been.
“You do not need posts like these,” wrote one commenter. “I’ve been involved in military activity before and continue to do so, so I can tell you that you already have a uniform system and a kind of behavioral system that makes you unable to see any difference (almost). Are not these systems sufficient? Why should you do more, because when there is war, I will not care if you are black or transsexual as long as you destroy the enemy.”
Stjeirnström replied to the post, “For the Armed Forces, it is important to take a stand, to show that we stand up for all people’s equal value, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expressions. Even though the year is 2017, this is still not obvious to many. This is our way of showing that the authority is involved in the matter.”
Stockholm Pride is one of the biggest events on the city’s calendar, with more than 60,000 people taking part in the annual parade each year, and more than 600 thousand lining the parade route. Pride week features lectures, seminars, workshops, and exhibitions through the city, while Pride house is the cultural heart of the week, with film, theatre, and various other performances. Pride Park hosts thousands upon thousands of people each day, with food outlets, shops, stalls, and other attractions, including daily performances on the main stage by top national and international acts.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.