Not surprisingly for such a design-forward city as Stockholm, the Swedish capital is home to a burgeoning set of ultra-hip spots looking to shake up perceptions of what a hostel can and should be.
The irrepressible rise of the Poshtel has taken the hospitality industry by storm over the last few years – offering a highly desirable blend of funky style and luxe comfort usually associated with boutique hotels, yet with the wallet-friendly rates of a hostel. Hardly surprising then, that Sweden’s capital has jumped on board with the Poshtel trend and is providing affordable yet sophisticated accommodation for the sociable, creative travellers attracted to this modern city. We’ve pulled together a selection of the best ones so you don’t have to.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Skanstull’s isn’t your typical Ikea-adorned dormitory hostel. Colourful, individually designed rooms with hand-selected furniture and hotel comfort beds are the key to his hostel’s success. You can choose to stay with your friends in the large group rooms or opt for a more solitary chamber if you prefer some privacy. Located in the unofficial ‘Sofo’ district of Stockholm, known for its cool vibe, green spaces and trendy shops, you’re in the right place to enjoy the city’s many charms.
A stay on board the fully rigged ship, The Af Chapman, is a treat for any traveller. Moored on an island opposite the Old Town, the ship offers wonderful views across the water to the colourful buildings of Gamla Stan. The ship attracts an interesting mix of business guests, backpackers and families, all happy to share this quirky hostel’s space. Ferries run regularly to the archipelago and other attractions, or you can walk/ride back to the mainland over the bridge.
The award-winning Generator chain of hostels encapsulates the Poshtel aesthetic – smart, design-led hostels with functional practicality and a room rate to match. Generator Stockholm perfectly reflects the city’s eclectic charms, with stylish décor, a sociable vibe and great food and drink. Locals and tourists alike flock to the legendary Generator parties, boasting world-renowned guest appearances and a banging bassline. After a night of Generator shots, you’ll be glad your bed is only a short stagger away.
This 17th-century building is tucked away on a quiet, cobbled street in Gamla Stan, the city’s Old Town. Cosy and discreet, the hostel offers travellers bright Scandi style rooms with exposed brick and stone walls. The small dorms only sleep up to four people, making this hostel less of a party than others, but with a chilled, informal atmosphere. A communal kitchen is on-site to make your own food, along with a relaxing dining and lounge area.
Located on a pretty peninsula on Lake Mälaren, Klubbensborg offers rooms in their heritage-listed 18th- and 19th-century buildings, including a hostel, apartment and pension rooms, plus camping in the summer. There’s a playground to let the kids burn off some steam and the lake offers plenty of opportunities for swimming and boating. Stockholm’s city centre is only a short distance away and ferries run to various destinations in the archipelago. During the summer months, you can enjoy beautiful lakeside views while listening to musical performances every Sunday.
Mike and Cece offer guests a warm welcome to their hostel in the beautiful municipality of Tyresö, about half an hour’s drive south-east of Stockholm. Dahlstrom Manor is located in Fornudden, on the Baltic coast, traditionally known as a summer escape for the rich city folk of Stockholm. Here you can swim, take a kayak out for a few hours, have a sauna by the lake or simply relax on the shore in this tranquil place.
Fancy a holiday in a prison? The Långholmen’s Youth Hostel is located in the old Kronohäktet remand prison, where rooms are cells with bunks accommodating up to ‘inmates’. The cells have all now been totally renovated of course, for a comfortable, non-obligatory stay. Långholmen is an island in the middle of Stockholm, by Södermalm and close to Kungsholmen, where you’ll find park areas, lush green groves and areas for bathing in Lake Mälaren, all conveniently close to the city centre.
As you may have guessed from the name, this unusual hostel is located on-board a Boeing 747 Jumbo Jet, right at Stockholm’s Arlanda airport. Rooms can accommodate up to four adults and some come complete with an ensuite bathroom. You can even book a stay in the cockpit, which boasts a panoramic view of the airport over the knobs and levers of the plane’s original dashboard. And it’s a lot cheaper than a First Class ticket!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.