Tenerife is an appealing place to camp thanks to its warm weather, stunning landscape and range of available sites. What better way to get up close and personal with the incredible natural beauty of the largest Canary Island than by pitching your camp among the volcanic mountains, in a verdant forest or on a moonlit beach? Wild camping areas owned by the Spanish government and private sites are found throughout the island, though their facilities can vary greatly.
In order to camp in Tenerife you must obtain a camping permit from the Registry and Citizen Services Office. This licence is free to acquire but limits you to seven days of camping and must be procured at least seven days in advance. You can head to the Tenerife Council building, (Medio Ambiente, Paisaje, Deportes), in La Laguna to apply in person. You could be asked to produce your permit while camping so keep it on your person at all times.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
One of Tenerife’s best caravan parks and campsites, Montaña Roja has plenty of facilities and an enviable position next to La Tejita beach. The site has a restaurant, bar, outdoor pool and features such as free parking and wifi. It is named after the extraordinary Red Mountain that looms over the beach and campsite. This site is in the midst of a nature reserve in the south of the island. It is open all year and has space for tents, caravans and motorhomes.
A stunning though rather basic campsite, Ramón el Caminero provides a legal place for wild campers to stay in one of Tenerife’s many pine forests. Though there are few amenities to speak of for the site’s 50 campers, there is a barbecue site across the road with seating and fire pits. Ramón el Caminero is for those committed campers who are seeking a true wilderness experience in central Tenerife’s mountains. The campsite is found along the TF-21 as you drive towards Teide National Park from the town of Aguamansa.
The large family-friendly Nauta campsite is on the southern tip of Tenerife, just north of Las Galletas on the TF-653. Bring your own tent and camp alongside motorhomes, wooden huts and caravans, some of which can be rented. With 2,500 tent sites, 40 cabins and 250 motorhomes and caravans there is plenty of space at Nauta – it also boasts two swimming pools, a cafeteria, supermarket, toilets, showers and various sporting facilities.
Nestled amongst the winding alpine roads to the north of Tenerife is the remote campsite Chanajiga. It is the ideal place for keen hikers who are accustomed to wild camping far from the comforts of civilisation. Running drinking water and free parking are the only amenities to be found in this rugged mountainous spot. Chanajiga campsite is to the south of Los Realejos and can be approached from the TF-21.
For a particularly secluded camping spot, head to the northwest of Tenerife for the isolated campsite Arenas Negras. Though there is access to drinking water, there are few other facilities here. It is however free to camp here and the site is easily accessed by car (though the car park is a fairly long walk from the actual campsite). Arenas Negras is located in the area of Garachico and there’s 9,000 square meters (97,000 square feet) of space to accommodate up to 50 campers.
Another campsite set within the pine forests of north Tenerife, El Lagar is popular for its serene setting and convenient facilities. Unlike many wild camping sites, El Lagar has drinking water in four locations, a shower block with eight showers, toilets and disabled accessibility. Relax in the sublime natural surroundings of this peaceful location, to the east of Icod de Los Vinos and south of La Guancha.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.