Santander is the capital of Spain’s Cantabria region and offers a whole host of attractions for visitors, from history museums to art centres and beaches. Spend your time shopping in the Mercado de la Esperanza, visiting the Palacio de la Magdalena or browsing the works in the new Centro Botín. Here are 10 of our favourite things to do in Santander.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Visit the opulent Palacio de la Magdalena
The Palacio de la Magdalena is situated on the vast Magdelana Peninsula, on the edge of the city, and has become somewhat of a symbol of Santander. Built between 1908 and 1912, it’s one of the best examples of this style of architecture in the whole of northern Spain. The palace was used as a summer residence for the Spanish royal family between 1913 and 1930, and today is open for visitors and grand events.
Discover the Museo Marítimo del Cantábrico
Santander has a strong relationship with the sea and an important maritime heritage. One of the the best places to learn about this is the Maritime Museum of Cantabria, located next to Los Peligros Beach. It features displays on everything from natural history and archaeology to ethnology, shipbuilding and cartography. Some of the exhibits date from 1790-1978 and came from the Nautical School of Santander.
See the new Centro Botín
The Centro Botín is Santander’s newest arts centre, housed in a futuristic-looking spaceship-like building. The centre specialises in contemporary arts, and its exhibits comprise everything from video and photography to painting and sculpture. You can see work here by international artists such as Carlos Garaicoa, Mona Hatoum, Joan Jonas, Jannis Kounellis and Julie Mehretu.
Learn about the past at the Museum of Prehistory and Archaeology of Cantabria
The Museum of Prehistory and Archaeology of Cantabria features a variety of objects and displays, mainly from the years between the Upper Palaeolithic era and the Iron Age. There are also Roman items from the town of Castro-Urdiales and an ivory belt buckle from the Santa María de Hito archaeological site.
Snap a pic of Santander Cathedral
One of the most impressive buildings in the city is the Santander Cathedral, which simply can’t be missed. It was originally built in the 13th century, although the upper part of the cathedral dates from the 14th century, and the cloisters were built in the 15th century. Inside, you can find the tomb of the writer, literary critic and historian Menéndez Pelayo.
Explore the Magdalena Peninsula
The vast, lush Magdalena Peninsula sticks out into the Bay of Biscay and is covered with trees, meadows and parks, and surrounded by beaches or rocky shorelines. It’s home to a number of attractions – as well as the Palacio de Magdalena, there is a zoo, three galleons and a lighthouse to explore.
Stroll through the Jardines & Paseo de Pereda
The beautiful Gardens of Pereda are named after the 19th-century Cantabrian writer José María de Pereda, and sit alongside the seafront promenade. Filled with walkways, palms and pavilions, they make a perfect place for an evening stroll.
Relax on the beach
Santander is a great beach destination, with many sandy stretches lying within and around the city centre. On the southern edge of the city, you’ll find the Playa de los Peligros and Playa de la Magdalena, spreading out towards the peninsula, and on the eastern edge, the 1,300m stretch of the blue flag Playa del Sardinero.
Admire the views the Faro de Cabo Mayor
The Cabo Mayor Lighthouse offers the best view in the whole of Santander, as it stands 91 metres above sea level. Construction on the lighthouse was completed in 1839, and at the time it was an important emblem of the city, providing light for the incoming ships. Today, visitors can climb to the top to enjoy vistas over the city, beach and bay beyond.
Shop in the Mercado de la Esperanza
Santander’s main market, the Mercado de la Esperanza, is a great spot for shopping for local products to take back home with you. It opened for the first time in 1904 and is created from stone, iron and glass. It was designed by the architects Eduardo Reynals and Juan Moya, with around 80 stalls, selling everything from meat and fish to fresh vegetables and cheeses.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.