Looking for a characterful, cheap accommodation option in Madrid that frees you up to spend more on your bar tab? These hostels are perfectly positioned for party-goers. Book your stay now with Culture Trip.
In Madrid, the bars only start warming up at 2am. A long-celebrated, heady nightlife scene is as much a part of the cultural fabric here as the Michelin-starred tapas bars and paintings by the Old Masters (although they might attract different crowds). Making the most of your Madrid bar-hopping time is a serious business, but you’ll also need somewhere to retreat to afterwards and to sleep through the afternoon until it’s time to start all over again.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In the centre of Madrid, in the vicinity of the Plaza Mayor, this hostel offers private double rooms as well as rooms for groups and shared dorms (including a female-only option). There’s a rooftop bar for a sundowner with a view of the city, and, in the mornings, you can make the most of a breakfast buffet that’s more generous than at many comparable hostels. Ask at the front desk about the many clubs and gigs that they can organise free entry to for guests.
Not far from Palacio Real and Plaza Mayor, this hostel offers suites for two or four guests or a bunted dorm for either six or eight guests. There’s more care and attention to small details in the dorms than in many comparable budget accommodation options, and the communal areas, in particular, are decked out to a much better standard than your average backpacker palace, with fresco feature ceilings and wood panelling.
No hostel that calls itself Mad4You could be accused of taking itself too seriously, but someone here is clearly sane enough to have created an appealing, affordable hostel in the desirable Malasana neighbourhood in Madrid, with its own bar and deli on site. There’s a mix of dorms and private rooms with shared bathrooms, which are worth shelling out a little extra for if you can. At full capacity, it can accommodate just 21 guests, so it never feels quite as frenetic as some of the bigger hostels.
Cute details in the dorm and atmospheric, well-equipped communal spaces make the central Madrid outpost from the Safestay group (on Calle de Sagasta) an appealing option for budget accommodation for a weekend of bar-hopping in the centre of Madrid. There are quiet spaces to work, just in case you do need to also finish one last document on your laptop before you put the out-of-office on, but pizza parties and games nights set the tone for socialising.
This is one of the newer hostels in lively Barrio La Latina in Madrid. Wooden bunk beds and crisp white sheets are the generic tick-box elements of the dorm rooms here, but the distinctive, mural-bedecked main common area is more memorable, and OK Madrid was created with the idea of having some communal spaces that are genuinely pleasant enough to spend some time in. Overall, it’s somehow slicker than your usual crash-out-in-a-dorm affair.
In the Centro district, close to the Gran Via Boulevard, this hostel offers a range of rooms from a private twin to a mixed, eight-bed dormitory and several options in between. Spacious, flow-through communal areas with high ceilings avoid the claustrophobic feel of some budget accommodation options, all set up for ease of sitting and chatting with your fellow travellers. Among design nods to music and fashion, the materials and finishing touches are to an above-average standard throughout.
Way Hostel, close to both the centre of Madrid and the cool neighbourhood of Lavapiés, prides itself on being a sociable hostel and offers cheap dinners four times a week, when guests can all muck in and get to know each other. It also provides free sangria, drinking games, walking and tapas tours and flamenco shows. Dorm beds start at €15 (£13).
Jessica Jones contributed additional reporting to this article.
Don’t want the fiesta to end? There’s a high-speed train running from the capital to beautiful Seville. And before you travel, find your perfect budget-friendly stay in our expertly curated guide to the best hostels in Seville.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.