Ibiza sunsets are the stuff of legend, providing the perfect opportunity to kick back and watch the sky turn to fiery reds and pinks over the sea – before heading out to to party into the early hours. Whether you want to be at one with nature, sipping cocktails in a beach bar, or larging it up on the infamous Sunset Strip, we’ve picked out the best spots on the island to enjoy this daily awe-inspiring spectacle.
A particularly stunning spot to watch the sun go down is on the cliffs above Cala d’Hort, opposite Es Vedrà, which is a rocky and uninhabited island just off the southwest coast of Ibiza. A mythical place, folklore says not only that the island is the third most magnetic place on earth, but that it’s the birthplace of Phoenician goddess Tanit. Legend also has it as home to the sirens and sea nymphs who tried to lure Ulysses from his ship in Homer’s Odyssey. There is an ancient ruined tower on the cliffs , historically used to keep watch for pirates, and now a very picturesque place from which to watch the sunset.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The legendary Sunset Strip in San Antonio is one of the most famous places in Ibiza to watch the sun dip under the horizon. This strip of bars has a clear view to the setting sun and is home to iconic bars like the Café del Mar and Café Mambo. There are numerous other bars with large terraces along the strip, though sunset is inevitably a popular time and some require reservations and have minimum spends; for others, you just need to turn up early and hope for the best. The cheaper option is to take your drink and sit on the rocks. Wherever you end up sitting, expect lots of people, a lively atmosphere, and spectacular views.
A renowned place to watch the sunset, Sunset Ashram is a bar and restaurant on the beautiful unspoilt beach at Cala Comte, and has a resident DJ playing music throughout the day and guest DJs playing sunset sessions. Relaxed and unpretentious, the bar is on the rocks that divide the beach, with seating under rustic beach umbrellas, and the restaurant serves very tasty Mediterranean, Indian and Japanese food. If you want to come and enjoy a cocktail and watch the sun go down, it’s best to call ahead and reserve a table as it gets very busy later in the day.
Cotton Beach Club
Whitewashed to Balearic perfection, Cotton Beach Club sits on top of the cliffs on the southwest coast, overlooking Cala Tarida in a prime position for watching the sun sink into the sea. FAY, the beach club’s Asian fusion restaurant, makes the perfect setting for a romantic dinner with sunset views – you can enjoy a fine dining experience on the rooftop or the sea-front terrace. The wine and cocktail list is extensive and the food (particularly the ceviche) is excellent.
One of Ibiza’s most famous beaches – Las Salinas – is a long stretch of sand, backed by the sand dunes, pine trees, and salt flats set on the southern tip of the island. Watching the sun go down over the still water and the salt flats is something not to be missed. Las Salinas is extremely popular and very busy in high season, and the beach has numerous beach bars, providing drinks, food, and music throughout the day and evening. Sa Trixna, at the far end, is a bit of an an institution on the island and has been around since the 1970s – the relaxed, hippy feel makes it an ideal venue to enjoy a sundowner.
What better way to watch the sun dip in the sky and drop into the sea than on a boat – whether that be for romance or a full-on party cruise. There are various companies offering sunset excursions, usually running for three or four hours, with the majority departing from San Antonio. Sunset Boats offers a number of different packages from romantic sunset cruises for two, to stag or hen party boat trips for up to ten people. Prices are often steep but include drinks. Ibiza Day Sailing offers three different types of sunset cruise (Calssic, Mojito or Sail ‘n’ Bass) all of which include swimming, drinks and snacks, plus Bluetooth connection so you can play your own music on the boat.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.