The Balearic Island of Mallorca, renowned for its stunning coastline and clear light that inspired artists such as Joan Miró, is unsurprisingly one of Europe’s top holiday destinations. The enticing scenery and climate is complemented by an equally impressive culinary, where seafood features very prominently thanks to its island status. Try out these venues to get your best maritime fix of luscious lobster and mouth-watering mussels.
Bodega Can Ferra
Located on Mallorca’s north coast, Bodega Can Ferra is one of the oldest restaurants in Puerto Pollensa (Port de Pollença), pleasantly situated on a side street near the bay with views of the port. It features a small, pared-down interior with nautical themed décor and is known for the friendliness of its staff and its hearty, home-cooked fare. Look out for specialities such as the mariner’s style mussels, the grilled sole and cuttlefish and the zarzuela, a Catalan fish stew, as well as the carefully chosen selection of house wines.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
La Parada del Mar
Reputed to serve the best value seafood in Palma, La Parada del Mar uses the unconventional concept of a fish market. Queue up and choose your meal from a selection of freshly caught fish and seafood on display in front of the restaurant. Your selection is then prepared and served immediately along with a drink of your choice in the dining room at the back. All fish and seafood are charged by weight, making this some of the best value dining in town as well as the freshest.
Restaurante Sa Roqueta
Tucked away down a Palma side-street near the Portitxol Harbour, Sa Roqueta is an authentic, unassuming restaurant offering up luscious maritime flavours which belie its small size and conservative appearance. The lobster is of special note and said to be the best in Palma, although be careful to ask for prices beforehand as seafood is sold by weight and a heavy lobster can lighten the wallet. The fare is known for freshness and simplicity rather than variety, so the best option is to bypass the menu and follow the staff’s advice. Best enjoyed with some traditional starters or side dishes such as the padron peppers.
Panoramic view | Courtesy of Ca n’Eduardo
A family-run business since it was founded as a fishermen’s guesthouse and eatery in 1871, Restaurant Miramar is a local landmark and one of Mallorca’s top venues for fish and seafood, with views over Alcúdia Bay to match. Meals can be taken in the elegant indoor dining room or enjoyed on the terrace facing a palm-fringed beach and harbor lit up by night. Highlights include the Mallorcan lobster stew, Arcade oysters and grilled Mallorcan red prawns.
Located directly above Palma’s fish market, Ca n’Eduardo offers up an exceptional range of produce straight from the sea. Founded in 1943, the restaurant has recently been renovated and features two large dining rooms, a private dining room and a terrace with panoramic views of the harbour and Palma’s cathedral. Stylish crowds congregate here in the evening and the people-watching is guaranteed to be as satisfying as the house specialities such as spiny lobster and Mallorcan style sea hake.
One of the top seafood venues in Mallorca’s northern port city, recently refurbished La Llonja has maintained its traditional charm, view of the harbour and nearby mountains and most importantly, quality fresh seafood. Built in the style of an old fish market with an arched ground floor dining area and Mallorcan shutters, it also features an elevated terrace overlooking the bay, an indoor dining room and a cantina by the fishing port for picking up a quick drink or snack.
Ponderosa Beach deserves a mention for its selection of seafood, served up in a laid-back beach atmosphere. With live music provided by DJs on weekends, a cocktail bar and a commitment to sourcing fresh local ingredients of the highest quality, this is a funky and modern Mallorcan dining experience not to be missed.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.