Catalonia is a great place to spend summer, especially because it’s home to so many great music festivals. Here’s our pick of the best music festivals to visit in Catalonia this summer.
Sónar needs no introductions. It’s a world famous music festival specialising in electronic music, creativity and technology. It has two programmes – one for the day and one for the night. The day performances take places at the Fira Montjuïc, while the night ones take place at the Fira Gran Via L’Hospitalet, just outside of Barcelona. This year, Sónar will be held from June 14-16, 2018. Headliners for this year include Gorillaz, DJ Harvey and Thom Yorke.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Primavera Sound, Barcelona
Primavera Sound, translates as ‘Spring Sound’, and is the other of Barcelona’s great music festivals. This year’s event will take place from May 30th to June 3rd. Previous year’s acts have included Arcade Fire, Queens of the Stone Age and Portishead, while this year you can catch the likes of Animal Collective, Beach House, Black Lips and Iceage.
Vida Festival, Vilanova i Geltru
One of our favourites, Vida Festival is held in the lovely beach town of Vilanova i Geltru, just south of Barcelona. By day you can laze by the beach and by night you can party away in the forest. It’s a small and quirky festival with lights and art installations in amongst the trees, hay bales to sit on and unusual stages such as a wooden row boat. This year’s event will take place from the 28th of June to July 1st. There are a few big name acts here, alongside a range of both local and international up-and-coming talent. This year’s lineup includes Franz Ferdinand, St. Vincent and Curtis Harding.
Festival Jardins de Pedralbes, Barcelona
The Festival Jardins de Pedralbes takes place in the gardens of the Palace of Pedralbes in the northwest corner of the city of Barcelona. It takes place throughout the months of June and July and comprises a number of different concerts of different styles. Artists who will be performing this year include Tom Jones, Jessie J, Elvis Costello and The Imposters and Emeli Sandé, among other local acts.
Festival de Cap Roig, Costa Brava
The Cap Roig Festival takes place in the small coastal village of Cap de Roig on the Costa Brava. It may be small, but it attracts some big name acts. This year’s festival will be held from July 13th to August 22nd, 2018 with various concerts taking place on different days. It attracts both Spanish and international talent, and this year’s acts will include Sting and Shaggy, Bryan Ferry, Texas and Damien Rice.
Festival Castell de Peralada
The Festival Castell de Peralada is held in the grounds of a magnificent Castle of Peralada, located just northwest of Figueres. This year will be the 32nd edition of the festival and will be a tribute to one of the festival’s founders – Carmen Mateu de Suqué. This festival is not your typical music festival, and features everything from classic music and pop to dance performances. The programme includes a great lineup of everyone from Santana and Cool & The Gang to former French First Lady Carla Bruni and Mozart’s The Magic Flute. It will be held between July 5th to August 17th 2018.
Canet Rock, Canet de Mar
Canet Rock is a rock festival held in the coastal town of Canet de Mar – around a one hour 20 minute bus or train journey from Barcelona. This year’s edition will be held on July 7th and will feature mostly Spanish rock acts such as Txarango, Macaco and Zoo.
Festival Cruïlla, Barcelona
The Festival Cruïlla is another of Barcelona’s music festivals. It hosts an eclectic array of both Spanish and international artists, and this year will take place from 12th to 14th of July, 2018. It takes place at the large Park del Fòrum and is attended by a wide range of people – they even encourage families with small children. The lineup this year includes Jack White, Prophets of Rage and Seasick Steve, among others.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.