A stay in the Andalusian city of Granada doesn’t have to break the bank. From futuristic dormitories to rustic cármenes, these are the best budget-friendly hostels in Granada, bookable with Culture Trip.
Spread beneath the thousand-year-old Alhambra and the Sierra Nevada mountains, Granada was described by Laurie Lee as “probably the most beautiful and haunting of all Spanish cities”. Even better, its bohemian, backpacker-friendly ambience means there are lots of inexpensive places to stay, especially in Albaicín, the city’s oldest neighbourhood. Here’s our choice of the best Granda hostels for your next trip to the southern Spanish hub.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Most private doubles and dorms at this upbeat backpackers’ base feature Alhambra views from small balconies. Bright reds, purples, greens and blues decorate the walls, while there are private rooms with ensuites available for those who don’t fancy sharing. Staff arrange tapas excursions, walking tours of Albaicín and Sacromonte, pub crawls, mojito and sangria nights, and can secure you tickets to the Alhambra and flamenco shows. A daily fee is charged for the continental breakfast.
Live music on the roof terrace, healthy breakfasts and a stylish bar with exposed brick walls are among the perks of a stay at this socially orientated hostel in Granada. It offers bunk-bed accommodation in female-only or mixed dorms, as well as group activities most nights of the week, from tapas and walking tours to family dinners and sangria evenings. There’s also a central patio with a hammock for those lazy summer afternoons. The 16th-century San Jerónimo Monastery is just around the corner.
Dorms at this contemporary Granada hostel have luxury bunks with privacy curtains, extra-thick mattresses, and individual lights, sockets and USB ports. Spaces for mingling include a well-equipped kitchen and a lounge with shiny leather sofas and gleaming tile mosaics. Most weekends, a crafts and books market is held on the Fuente de las Batallas square, just over the road. Parking and a continental breakfast are available for additional fees.
Unusually for a hostel in the densely packed Medieval quarter of Albaicín, Oripando has a patio with a plunge pool – perfect for cooling off on those sweltering summer days. Accommodation ranges from four- or six-bed dorms to queen-sized rooms and a private apartment, all spread through a typical Albaicín carmen (rustic house) featuring tiled walls and floors, arched doorways and a plant-filled atrium with a fountain. Plaza Larga, one of the neighbourhood’s liveliest squares, is a five-minute walk away.
Broz is the first purpose-built, eco-friendly hostel in Granada, run by two sisters and a brother. It occupies a futuristic building in the city centre, surrounded by shops and bars. Communal spaces comprise a contemporary take on the traditional Andalusian patio; a lounge with flatscreen TV and table football; a roof-terrace; and a hi-tech kitchen. Rooms and private or mixed dorms are hotel standard; all have a crisp white decor, private bathrooms, Albaicín views and Alhambra-inspired art.
This hyperactive hostel goes overboard to ensure you get the most out of Granada, offering everything from Indiana Jones-style hiking adventures in the Sierra Nevada to free Spanish lessons. The dorms and private rooms – some of which are ensuite – occupy a townhouse at the bottom of Albaicín, just above the grungy thoroughfare of Calle Elvira. Don’t miss paella nights, where you can watch the classic Spanish dish being prepared with fresh seafood.
Soak up the understated splendour of an Andalusian townhouse at this well-appointed hostel, which abounds with ornate wooden doors, fireplaces, beamed ceilings and terracotta floors. Sleep in mixed or female-only rooms, chill on the roof terrace, or catch up on emails in the loft, complete with vaulted ceiling and shared computer. It’s ideally placed for shopping in the city centre, eating tapas on lively Plaza de Gracia, or visiting Federico García Lorca’s former home in the park that bears his name. Continental breakfast is included.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.