Andalusia is one of the most magnetising destinations in Spain, and for good reason. But if you’re looking to take things a little slower on your next visit – and experience the region through a very different lens – head to Guadix, near Granada, to stay in your very own cave, bookable right here on Culture Trip.
The oft-snow-capped Sierra Nevada mountains overlook one of Spain’s most stunning landmarks: the Alhambra Palace, a cherished relic of Granada’s rich and enthralling history. You can stay at suitably luxurious hotels around the old Moorish city, with many drawing design inspiration from the palace itself. But if you really want to experience a unique stay that captures the old magic and majesty of Andalusia, try staying in a cave house carved into the rocks or dug out of clay.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In Guadix, less than an hour’s drive from Granada, staying in a cave is nothing unusual. The city isn’t that well known outside of Spain, but it boasts a rich history all of its own, and the surviving cave houses are part of its legacy.
Thankfully, many have been restored to hospitality standards and are available for travellers to book. Here’s our curated selection of the best caves in Guadix and the surrounding villages.
The red clay that illuminates the Alhambra is a stark contrast to the vivid limestone caves of this cavernous complex. The 18 separate cottages are perfect for families and couples looking for a relaxing stay with uninterrupted views of the Sierra Nevada. There are packages available for those looking for a bespoke stay – we recommend the Ancient Skies option, which adds in a spot of guided stargazing to your trip.
In the nearby town of Huéscar, you’ll find a number of quiet neighbourhoods that reveal more about the region’s past. Casas Cueva Molino Fuencaliente is typical of the properties here, and in addition has barbecue facilities for those looking to spend even more time outdoors. In the surrounding areas, you’ll find remarkable spots like Castril within easy reach. Another highlight is the old Jewish quarter in Orce, which is an archaeological gem.
If your idea of a cave hotel is a jagged hole carved into the side of a mountain, then take a look at Cuevas Helena. This modern iteration of “cave living” offers the chance to experience the great outdoors while sampling a more authentic side of Andalusia. The hotel itself is relatively small but well stocked for big groups, with exterior dining space giving the place a summery feel. The traditional Spanish villages of the Altiplano (the high plains) are just a short distance away – hop in the car and head to one for a cheap-as-chips lunch of lovely, local tapas.
If you want the wow factor, take a cave at Cuevas Almagruz. This property has just six rentals available, but the largest of these can accommodate up to 28 people. The rooms feel like a home from home, with everything needed for a big group holiday. The spectacular façade is part of the Granada Geopark – a designated area of geological interest – which includes a visitor centre that details the original cave dwellers who made their homes here before visitors from other parts of Spain discovered the region. If you’re travelling across the region by car, this place will really take you off the grid.
Guadix is a former stronghold of the Roman Empire, and it was during this early period when many of the cave houses found scattered around the city today were first hewn. Cuevas Pedro Antonio de Alarcón are a series of such caves, but instead of rocks and dust, you’ll find cosy bedrooms, kitchenettes and even a hot tub in one. Caves also function as natural insulators; during the hottest days of summer they’ll provide much needed respite, at absolutely no cost to the environment. Guadix is roughly 60km (37mi) from the heart of Granada, so you’ll need to drive here or take a bus.
Another option in the Altiplano is Cuevas Al Qulayat, a budget retreat in Castilléjar that’s really only accessible by car. If you’re taking a road trip through Andalusia, somewhere like Castilléjar makes for a great Slow Travel alternative to cities like Seville, Cordoba and Granada. You’ll get a real sense of ancient Spanish history, not to mention a some authentic Spanish cuisine in town. This hotel is great if you’re travelling with a dog, as pets are welcome, too.
Unlike large purpose-built concrete structures, cave houses have a minimal impact on the local environment. They require little maintenance, blend seamlessly into the surroundings and make the most of natural resources. You can go to bed with a clean eco-conscience at Cuevas del Zenete, found in La Calahorra, in Guadix County. Choose from a collection of open-plan residences that neatly make the most of their limited space. Some come with kitchen facilities and even a cosy fireplace, too.
Locals have lived in caves for millennia in this part of Spain, even when the original ramparts of the Alhambra were under construction during the reign of the Moors. But these original cave dwellers couldn’t possibly have imagined how their home might evolve, even though the weathered exterior would remain largely the same. Cuevas el Guindas is every bit the authentic cave, but comes with on-site pool facilities and even an indoor fireplace to provide extra warmth for a winter stay.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.